Securing the Hardware

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodtod11

First I want to say thanks to everyone here that responds to my many posts. I am really learning a lot from all of you.

I have had a couple of issues with the "transmissions" on the Manhattan Pen or as other sites call it the "Gatsby" or "Sierra", coming loose. When you go to turn the body to extend the tip then turn the other way to retract it eventually loosens the transmission , which is one that screws into place causing the pen to not work correctly. Now the fix is simple but only temporary, remove the body , tighten the transmission and you ready to go again.

Thing is , I do not want my customers, whether its a gift or one I sell to have to do that. It just seems kinda low quality to me.

So how can you secure that so that when its time to change ink it can be done, yet it wont loosen up over time. I thought of Loctite 222 ( Blue ) but is that a "correct" solution?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

are you thinking about using the loctite on the transmission threads??? I would think that would make removing the trans when you need to change ink VERY difficult, plus it would have to be re-applied after you (finally) get it open.

With me, I just make sure to tighten the trans well before pushing on the body, don't rely on being able to turn the body to tighten the trans, and let the user know to pull the body strait off, then unscrew the trans. The killer is if the body is turned to tighten the trans and you keep going, spinning the trans inside, eventually it will wear too lose to work, or possibly even stay on...

rodtod11

Yea I agree, the loctite would have to be reapplied. I did make sure the trans was tight. And we do not use the body to tighten or loosen it up. Just ordinary useage seems to loosen it up.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
First I want to say thanks to everyone here that responds to my many posts. I am really learning a lot from all of you.

I have had a couple of issues with the "transmissions" on the Manhattan Pen or as other sites call it the "Gatsby" or "Sierra", coming loose. When you go to turn the body to extend the tip then turn the other way to retract it eventually loosens the transmission , which is one that screws into place causing the pen to not work correctly. Now the fix is simple but only temporary, remove the body , tighten the transmission and you ready to go again.

Thing is , I do not want my customers, whether its a gift or one I sell to have to do that. It just seems kinda low quality to me.

So how can you secure that so that when its time to change ink it can be done, yet it wont loosen up over time. I thought of Loctite 222 ( Blue ) but is that a "correct" solution?
Gatsby and sierra are not the same pen - different internal parts including transmissions and the way they work- The Manhattan (sold by Rockler) is a sierra style. The problem you describe does not occur on Gatsby style.

Last edited:

turncrazy43

I have had a similar problem. I just snug the transmission up good. I advise the customer that if twisting the body of the pen doesn't cause the ink supply to extend that they must pull the pen apart and snug up the transmission again. After that explanation I have never had a return or complaint.

kovalcik

Go with BLUE Loctite (not the RED). Blue is temporary. Red is permanent. I use it routinely on most of my hardware. No problem taking things apart when needed but it stays put until then. I use it on all threaded parts and on cap/clip combos. No need to glop it on, a drop is all you need.

Wildman

Cannot tell you how many Berea Hardwood Sierra and Elegant Beauty kits have made and never had a problem with them. I like to buy from Berea but have many resellers that also give great service.

Top Bottom