Second plywood attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

253502_172822916111115_100001502242963_427040_4331826_n.jpg

I don't think it turned out quite as well. I was working on making a black centerband, but it was looking pretty sketchy so I went with the white one. I think I need to go see if I can salvage the black one. I also need to sharpen the pen mill so I can clean up the areas against the centerband better. This one did not come out as clean on those edges as usual.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Good job. I turn a pen out something like fiberboard once and it really sucked. Never will turn that stuff again.

I did one of those too. MDF. It was a terrible material to turn, but it looked really cool with a high gloss finish. I do not plan on turning it again unless good money is on the line.

wiset1

Very clean looking, gives that segmented vibe like you spent hours and hours of work on it. Very Nice!

SDB777

Maybe the centerband in the photo is 'taking something away from it'? Black would probably be the better choice......maybe?

How much CA do you have left, I tried one of these and thought halfway through that I was going to need to call Monty!

Awesome results on the turning!!!

Scott (lookin' good) B

Drstrangefart

Maybe the centerband in the photo is 'taking something away from it'? Black would probably be the better choice......maybe?

How much CA do you have left, I tried one of these and thought halfway through that I was going to need to call Monty!

Scott (lookin' good) B

I didn't stablilize this one, or I would have used up a small bottle of thin. I did soak the final shape after packing the voids with sawdust. I wOnder about coating it in colored sawdust before finishing.

Last edited:

SDB777

Scott (lookin' good) B

I didn't stablilize this one, or I would have used up a small bottle of thin. I did soak the final shape after packing the voids with sawdust. I winder about coating it in colored sawdust before finishing.

Hmmm? Food coloring into each different layer??

Scott (strange twist) B

wizard

Allan, Great job!! It looks great with that closely banded segmented appearance..I too think a black centerband may accent or frame the wood...however..take it with a grain of salt...I'm kind of into a symmetrical look. Doc

Drstrangefart

It's very unique! I bet it was a real challenge to spin. I do not like the black center band though. I think no centerband is required at all for this pen.

I would have been happy to skip the centerband all together, but those edges are all kindsa nasty. A well made centerband reduces the impact quite a bit. I still have to make a jig for either disc sander to help in that department.

Top Bottom