Second pen stand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

Well, I decide that since everyone loved my first one! LOL[:eek:)] I would have another go at it.
Wood type is Amboyna Burl. Finish is sanding to 1200 and 8 coats of Deft.
deskset.jpg

deskset2.jpg

desksetside.jpg

As always comments or concerns welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

The holder consists of three pieces of wood. I had a "creative moment" last night and figured out how to do it. It had become apparent to me that there wasn't a nice commercial product available.
Here is exactly what I did.
I took the remaining portion of the Amboyna pen blank and drilled it as if it was for a Baron cap. I then cut one end piece at a 10.25 degree, the center piece has 2 10.25 degree cuts and the 3 piece has a 90 and a 10.25 degree cut. I then cut a Baron cap tube to the proper length and mounted the three pieces onto a tube (unglued) and added the bushings. Then I turned and sanded and finished the three pieces on the lathe as if they were one piece.
When finished I had three pieces that could be glued together to create the angle I was looking for to hold the pen naturally. Granted after gluing I did some additional sanding and finishing to the piece but when completed I was very happy with the results.
I have incorporated this concept into a pen and will post when I get a good picture of it. I have also designed another pen holder that will include what I call "wood art" in the piece. Using this method of segmenting has created an endless number of possibilities that I feel would be worth while pursuing. Yet....this will send me in the "wood art" direction more than my love for pens so I will be very cautious in my walk.

BTW.....Yes I did have some wonderful music playing as my mind worked this out!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Very nice and original - A holder is on my to do list but the design is still somewhere in my head. This may have brought it closer to the top. Well done.

reed43

Very nice Ron, I don't think you could pick a nicer wood. The finish is very nice. If it gets in your way you know my address.

DWK5150

Ron,

Very nice and interesting design. Did you think about turning the holder 90 degrees so you can add a business card holder or a small plaque or such if its big enough for something like that. Kinda tough to tell the size in the pic.

Ron Mc

Thanks for the comments. I really like this one and so does my customer.
Your right! It is simple. I have been playing with the pen holder idea for the last couple days and have found a way to create a pen that looks like a "rope pen" yet no special tools are required. I have also made a pen that just isn't "right" but am having camera problems at the moment.
Wait until you see the next desk set I am working on. [;)][;)]

BTW....The recipient of the "POO" set was astonished when they saw it. It was truly beautiful yet the pictures just made it look like something my dog left behind![:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom