Second attempt at polymer clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eliasbboy

eliasbboy

They're not perfect, but they are definitely leaps and bounds better than my first failed attempt.

I have the highest respect for the people that do this well.

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eliasbboy

That is very nice I like it. I have ordered some canes myself and hope that mine can look that good by my 2nd attempt.

Don.

I learned very quickly to make the base layer as thin as possible. That's why these two ended up as Wall Street III's.

It worked out that two circuit board blanks had recently committed suicide in my shop and I had the kits available.

Thanks for the compliment and Good luck!

eliasbboy

If yo don't mind sharing could you please tell us what you used to roll/condition the base clay. Thanks. Don.

I got lucky on that one. I was sharing my first attempt with my sister and she mentioned she had an old pasta maker. I used that to get the base clay thinner and smoother. It worked perfect.

I just made some new ones last nite and was able to dial down the base layer even farther.

eliasbboy

Also, for anyone wanting to experiment, Michael's has a 24 pack of polymer clay sample colors. There's also online coupons for up to 50% off one item in store.

toyotaman

I would like to learn too. I tried PC a while back and I could not get the hang of it too good. Yours looks great. I bought the pasta maker, all kinds of clay, toaster oven, and other supplies. Right now they are collecting dust waiting to be reborn. Maybe if I can learn more here I can get back into it.

mwhatch

I have seen some canes for sale on ebay, but not the quality of the flowers in yours. Where can we find those nice canes.

Thanks

Morton

eliasbboy

Thanks everybody!

I will most certainly take pics next time i make them if it will help anyone. That's not a problem. Just remember I'm still learning too so my "process" is not anything perfected over years of experience.

I first read about it in "Complete Guide to Turning Pens & Pencils" by Walter Hall.

After that I searched here and saw some of the unbelievably beautiful stuff done by member "Ruby pen turning" and I believe it's his wife that makes the blanks (KnB Polymers).

I have an even greater respect for the work they do after trying my hand at it.

As for the canes, I found mine searching on "Etsy".

http://www.penturners.org/forum/member.php?u=13555

InvisibleMan

Looks good to me!

I'd love to give this a try sometime, but it appears that artistic ability may be required. I'm a quart low:biggrin:.

Michael

Welcome to the PC Club. It is exciting to work with and you can do lots of things. Premo and Kato have been the best brands I have found for pens. They are the most durable in the long run. Studio was my favorite for certain applications, but they discontinued it earlier this year.

K

eliasbboy

Michael

Welcome to the PC Club. It is exciting to work with and you can do lots of things. Premo and Kato have been the best brands I have found for pens. They are the most durable in the long run. Studio was my favorite for certain applications, but they discontinued it earlier this year.

K

Thanks so much! I've seen some of your work and I was simply amazed! The football was my favorite, but they are all incredible. i was actually just telling someone about your football pens earlier today!

Thanks again for the tips!

Thanks for the kind words. Polymer is a blast and there a many things you can do with it. The formulas have changed a lot over the years. Each clay has it's own set of characteristics. There is a great site (I will try to post it when I find it) that breaks down all of the clays. The tests they are put though is pretty informative.

Top Bottom