Seam Ripper Blade Question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from panamag8or

panamag8or

My GF was telling me that sewers are pretty picky about the blades on their seam rippers, and that the kit blades she's seen (in catalogs) aren't so hot. For those that have made them, which kit offers the best blade? I'm planning on making some for display in a sewing shop, and don't want to put out stuff that could be had at the dollar store.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

If you read some of the posts on this board, you might get the sense that turners can also be rather picky about things like tool sharpening, finishes, vendor shipping practices, etc!

Seriously, what aspects of seam rippers get sewers wound up? If its the sharpness of the blade, there is a simple solution - you can buy diamond hones that can be used to sharpen seam ripper blades. The best place to look is sporting goods stores - because the same hones are used to sharpen fishing hooks.

clieb91

I have bought several kits from Woodcraft and so far all of the receivers have been pretty happy with them. Best bet might be to buy a few of the kits and see which one your GF and or the shop owner likes the most.

CtL

Janster

I use PSI. No problems w/theirs. I make em' on shell casings.

Attachments

• SeamRippers.jpg
    SeamRippers.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 178

walshjp17

I have bought several kits from Woodcraft and so far all of the receivers have been pretty happy with them. Best bet might be to buy a few of the kits and see which one your GF and or the shop owner likes the most.

CtL

The Woodcraft models are made by/imported by Berea and have rubber O-rings to secure the ripper in the tube. PSI models have a spring clip to secure the rippers. I have made and sold quite a number of both. According to my sister (a quilter), seniors and those with arthritis have some problems trying to extract and seat the O-ring versions and they much prefer the spring clip style.

Both models have very, very sharp ripper blades -- DAMHIKT -- so it comes down to which version your customers prefer.

clieb91

John, That is good to know. The WC kits are quite tight, which is good once they are open. I may try a PSI kit myself and see which one my wife prefers.

CtL

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If the o-ring version gets stiff, just wipe a little wax on the shaft - doesn't take much. I use beeswax but that's just what I happen to have on hand.

sbwertz

I turn a handle that holds a standard Dritz seam ripper from the fabric store. If it breaks or gets dull the customer can replace it herself. I used to make them with glued in blades, but had to replace the whole thing if they broke the tip off the blade. (I think some of them use the seam rippers to pry off lids or something!)

Tom T

I use WC kits they have been fine for all I have given out. Tip, take some micro mess and sand the top edge of the tube with the corner of the pad. That really help the sliding in and out. A little wax is good to. But the sanding did the trick. Do not sand the inside of the tube. I tried that it is way worse.
PSI does have two different size cutter ends in there catalog. WC only has one.

Rosewood

Just a-wondering

I stopprd making the seam rippers when the internal spring (PSI) would not hold the handle (?) portion. Have they inproved the spring? If they have I will start making them again.

kovalcik

PSI blades used to be crap (technical term). They changed their supplier about a year ago and the new ones are much better. They also upgraded the spring. Seems to work a little better, but I had no real issues with the old one.

I have also made the ones using the store bought ones that Sharon mentioned. The only issue was that the bright blue plastic is always showing and is hard to match. (Definitely clashes with purpleheart.:mad-tongue:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom