Sea salt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeinSC

MikeinSC

I make sea salt. It's a minimally processed, hand harvested coarse salt.

It's a rather enjoyable hobby to dabble with.

Attachments

• IMG_20150620_141847004_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150620_141847004_HDR.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 312

TonyL

That is generous of you. Is it used for something other than seasoning food?

MikeinSC

Tony,
It can be used wherever you normally would use salt. The biggest differences are that there are no iodine, no anti-caking or anti-clumping agents. The salt can have a tendency to take on moisture, which is natural for salt to do.

Other than food, sea salt is used in cosmetics. But that's something I don't understand at all.

TonyL

Tony,
It can be used wherever you normally would use salt. The biggest differences are that there are no iodine, no anti-caking or anti-clumping agents. The salt can have a tendency to take on moisture, which is natural for salt to do.

Other than food, sea salt is used in cosmetics. But that's something I don't understand at all.

Thank you for the answer. :)

Ed McDonnell

Where do you get the seawater from? It's really hard to find "clean" coastal waters these days. I used to go way offshore to the gulfstream to get "clean" water for my coral propagation tanks. Even then you had to be sure that no cruise ships or tankers had passed down current recently.

Ed

MikeinSC

I get the water from protected, SC DHEC monitored areas. It is then allowed to settle and is then filtered.

I've also had it tested for appropriate sodium content to ensure it is high enough to discourage bacterial growth.

I also have multiple certifications in food safety as well, such as Better Process Control, HAACP Manager and ServSafe Instructor.

While it would be ideal to go off shore, there are still coastal waters that are good.

Attachments

• IMG_20150609_145644720_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150609_145644720_HDR.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 230

JimB

I never knew making sea salt was a hobby, or even how it was done. Is it strictly a hobby where you make the salt for personal use or do you sell the salt?

wyone

I thought sea salt was from the sea.. I guess I learn things all the time. Is yours different than the store bought? Is the taste the same? I never thought I would be curious about Salt, but it appears that I am. :)

MikeinSC

I think of it as a hobby because I do it for the sake of making something my own.

Yes, my salt is different than store bought salt.

Table salt is mined from the earth, sea salt comes from salt water. Salts that are produced b big corporations like Cargill have to a consistent product without irregularities so they are heavily processed.

A small batch, artisinal product will have different flavors and textures. It will change with the seasons and with the trace minerals found in the water.

Pink Himalayan salt gets its color from iron ore, Celtic grey sea salt gets its color from the clay line salterns that its made in, fleur de sel and flake finishing salts will be light in flavor and texture.

What I like about it is doing something that isn't really done anymore, especially around here, watching the salt finally fall out of solution and just making something my own. What I dislike about it is spending countless days and driving 100's of miles searching for good place. And waiting.

I don't sell any of it at this point. I have been putting a plan together and speaking with the local agencies that would regulate it though. There are some considerable barriers to entry as well with regulations, certifications, facilities, access, transportation, and so on. I feel that with my culinary experience and certain connections, I could get through the barriers.

MikeinSC

If anyone else is interested, I still have salt. I had made a few pounds of it the last go around.

Just pm me your address.

lorbay

We have a little company just down the street from us called Vancouver Island Salt Co.
They make some flavored ones also. Very nice.

Lin.

MikeinSC

We have a little company just down the street from us called Vancouver Island Salt Co.

Lin.

I wouldn't call Andrew Shepherd a small company. He's an inspiration as well.

Old Codger

I'm probably going to overstep a bit here, but what does 'making sea salt' have to do with making pens or wood turning? I LOVE sea salt and use it often when I cook as I prefer it's taste over regular table salt, but offering it here? Would think there would be a more appropriate forum to offer this to, but if no one else thinks this a bit odd, why not... Safe turning to you all!

thewishman

I'm probably going to overstep a bit here, but what does 'making sea salt' have to do with making pens or wood turning? I LOVE sea salt and use it often when I cook as I prefer it's taste over regular table salt, but offering it here? Would think there would be a more appropriate forum to offer this to, but if no one else thinks this a bit odd, why not... Safe turning to you all!

Since this is in the "Other things we make" forum, it fits pretty well. :)

JimB

I don't think there is any rule for the Other Things We Make forum that requires the items to be turned or made of wood. I seem to remember folks posting some stain glass and some other non-turning, non-wood items in the past.

lorbay

Lin.

I wouldn't call Andrew Shepherd a small company. He's an inspiration as well.
Well if you saw the size of his shed you would. I can get 3 of them in my work shop, and I don't have a huge shop.:biggrin:
Lin

MikeinSC

I've seen it in a video. Effectively a one butt shed with two or three steam jacketed type kettles. Yet he seems to be putting out a lot of product. Even though salt is generally considered a safe product, I couldn't do his set up here and do it as a business. SC Dept of Ag and DHEC wouldn't allow me to sell the product and they'd shut it down in a hurry.

Because saltworks aren't really done here anymore, it'll be difficult to get everything ok'd because the local government doesnt know what to do. If I am able to be persuasive enough, and come with all my ducks in a row and tested, I could basically shape the segment.

I really like how Sheppard went from a dare to international business. I found out about him when someone started pushing me to do a little more myself.

MrPukaShell

Thank You

Mike,

Got mine in the mail today and wanted to say thank you. I see what you mean about the texture and moisture. I for one like the coarse salts better. To me it is not as salty and no iodine taste if that makes sense. Any way thanks again and can't wait to get in the kitchen.

Time to make some Poke.

nava1uni

Sounds interesting to do. I use many different types of salt in my cooking. Each has a distinct flavor and they are not too salty, if that makes sense. I would like to try some if you still have any available. Thank you for sharing the information and your salt.

PenPal

To any naysayers in the forum I say this submission generated more genuine interest than a whole lot of beaut pens now and recently. The forum for so many members is quiet.

We in Canberra need Iodised Salt as we live in a Goiter belt or area with this deficiency. Neat to learn of your hobby, share your enthusiasm.

Peter.

ELA

I very much enjoyed this thread. It brought to mind stories my grandparents told me about how they got salt in the early 1900's. They would travel by mule and wagon from Enterprise, Alabama to Pensacola, Florida in the autumn to get salt. There were catch basins at Pensacola where seawater was evaporated and the remaining salt was harvested. The Trip took 3 days each way. The salt was used both in cooking and to preserve meats to last for the next year.

builtbybill

Mike,

Received mine a couple of days ago, thanks so much. My wife thinks that this is one of the neatest things...getting your sea water and making salt.

MikeinSC

I have about another 12 packs of salt still. Just pm the address and I'll send it out.

I'll be starting the next batch on Monday which will be made via solar evaporation. So that will take a little while to make.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm still trying to refine the process and product. I do like where it's at now because it is a very honest salt and not a false representation of sea salt.

Top Bottom