Scroll Sawn Sycamore Cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rodsaw

rodsaw

I took a break from the lathe to do some work on the scroll saw. This is a cross that made as a gift for my sister-in-law. It is made from a piece of figured sycamore that has some spalting on one edge of the board and was planed to about 7/8" thick. It took about 18 hours to complete, 2 to mill the stock and prep for going to the saw, 12 for the scroll work, and 4 for sanding/finishing. There are 127 entry points on this design. I finished the piece with 8 coats of clear lacquer.

Attachments

• cross 2small.jpg
    cross 2small.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 331
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now thats a fine piece and job well done. I can appreciate the work in that because I too am a scroller. Thanks for showing.

rodsaw

Thanks for the comments--

The cross is about 15" tall and 8" wide. Being 8" wide I had to dig through my wood pile to find a nice piece that was that wide. I have a bunch of 4" and 6" stock, and with the design I wanted to cut it out of a single piece.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Having tried to cut a curved line on a blank for sheet metal segmenting , I can really appreciate the work you put into this . It's a beauty , and I hope your SIL will appreciate it as well . Nice work !

Top Bottom