Scroll Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

afsafe3

I on my way to pick up a brand new delta scroll saw for under $100. I don't own a band saw yet, but will the scroll saw do me justice for cutting down blanks. And the band saw I used had a homemade jig for cutting blanks has anyone ever seen a jig made for a scroll saw.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
No Miter slot on scroll saw tables so it's harder to make a jig. I cut blanks on a scroll saw. I always take just a second to use a small square and mark a cut line on the blank and then cut it following the line as closely as I can. Good quality blades (Flying Dutchman or Olsen) are essential Big Box store blades just don't help.

terry q

You can BUT its not a production machine. It will be a very slow process. Cutting thicknesses over 3/4" with a scroll saw is very time consuming. Trust me you will not be happy. A band saw or table saw is a much better choice. You are better off using your scroll saw for something like this.

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 140
  • A5.jpg
    A5.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 184

low_48

I think a well sharpened hand saw will cut out blanks quicker than a scroll saw. Not a modern hand saw, but the lost art of a nice vintage rip saw, and cross cut. Probably get both for $20.

Mengtian

I do a lot of scroll work and have a very nice scroll saw (21 Excalibur). If you wnat ot do what yo are going to do I would pick up a cheap bandsaw. Scroll saw will work but not the best option.

BTW: Flying Dutchman Blades!!!!

Kragax

I do a lot of scroll work and have a very nice scroll saw (21 Excalibur). If you wnat ot do what yo are going to do I would pick up a cheap bandsaw. Scroll saw will work but not the best option.

BTW: Flying Dutchman Blades!!!!

Have tried it on my Hawk 220. Bought a bandsaw.

Skie_M

Scroll saw for mill work?

May as well make yourself a home made Rockwell Blade Runner from a jigsaw... would be MUCH quicker.

Sabaharr

I also cut blanks with my scroll saw. Band saw is all the way out in the garage. I make a mark on the blank and line up the blade with the saw then cut a line on the back side of the blank. I then roll the blank 90° toward me and voilla, a perfectly straight line for the blade to follow. Easy Peasy. This would work with a band saw too if you don't have a sled yet. For rounded blanks I roll the blank while advancing it through the blade an it maintains a straight cut, kinda sorta.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I also cut blanks with my scroll saw. Band saw is all the way out in the garage. I make a mark on the blank and line up the blade with the saw then cut a line on the back side of the blank. I then roll the blank 90° toward me and voilla, a perfectly straight line for the blade to follow. Easy Peasy. This would work with a band saw too if you don't have a sled yet. For rounded blanks I roll the blank while advancing it through the blade an it maintains a straight cut, kinda sorta.
Great Idea! I'm borrowing it.

BTW - I use Flying Dutchman TC-9 Blades for most everythng including cutting pen blanks. Only use smaller Blades TC-3, TC-5, TC-7 for fretwork. TC-9 will cut out outside of scroll saw projects just fine as well as cut pen blanks. Depending on the species, you have to watch blade speed and rate of feed through the blade wth the blank. Yes a Band Saw would be better for pen blanks - NO QUESTION - but I have a limited budget and even more limited space and was given a brand new Ryobi SC165VS Scroll Saw and so I can use it for pen blanks and also for scroll sawing projects. You must "play the ball where it lies".

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I on my way to pick up a brand new delta scroll saw for under $100. I don't own a band saw yet, but will the scroll saw do me justice for cutting down blanks. And the band saw I used had a homemade jig for cutting blanks has anyone ever seen a jig made for a scroll saw.

You ask if a scrollsaw will cut blanks and the answer is yes it will. So will a hand held miter box with saw. It will not be fast. The accuracy of cutting a straight line is diminished because there are no blade guides to keep a blade from bending many different ways. But you will mill or sand the ends anyway. No there are no jigs. Every tool is made for specific jobs but at times We improvise and use them for things they were not designed to do. A scrollsaw is a useful tool in pen making if you get into doing wavey lines such a segmenting. Or as many have mentioned doing fret work scrolling. So again to your question, yes it can but you will be disappointed. By the way do not expect the world with that scrollsaw.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Can you build a house with a handsaw and screwdriver? Yes - but it would be painfully slow...the right tools make tasks much better.

A scroll saw works well in thin wood - not so well in 3/4" wood.

Try and look for a used bandsaw. You can also get inexpensive tools at Harbor Freight - I bet they have a 9 or 10 inch bandsaw for not much more than your scroll saw.

I just did 40+ blanks using only a scroll saw. I did all types of wood and acrylics for this run. Since the scroll saw blade is moving up and down it heats up very quickly and can cause the acrylics to melt. I found myself cutting 1/8 inch then backing repeating over and over only going 1/8 inch deeper each time.

After doing that, and since I do not have the room for a bandsaw, If I need to do another batch like this I will most likely pick up the 4-inch table saw from harbor freight. 4 in. Mighty-Mite Table Saw with Blade

Skie_M

Before you go out and get that mini table saw ... keep in mind that with a 4 inch blade, your depth of cut will barely be ONE inch, and that's right up against the fence! The other side of your blank WILL NOT BE CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH. For safety's sake, the blank can NEVER get anywhere near that arbor nut on the blade.

Rather than get that (which is great for tiny things, like cutting brass tubes to size and things like that), save up an extra 60 or 70 dollars and get the table saw or the band saw.

jttheclockman

I just did 40+ blanks using only a scroll saw. I did all types of wood and acrylics for this run. Since the scroll saw blade is moving up and down it heats up very quickly and can cause the acrylics to melt. I found myself cutting 1/8 inch then backing repeating over and over only going 1/8 inch deeper each time.

After doing that, and since I do not have the room for a bandsaw, If I need to do another batch like this I will most likely pick up the 4-inch table saw from harbor freight. 4 in. Mighty-Mite Table Saw with Blade

If you have room for a lathe you have room for a bandsaw. Buy a small bandsaw before you buy that mini saw. Waste of money.

Mengtian

Get a Craftsman 9 inch BS. Works great for small projects. I use it more often than my 14" Rikon

jttheclockman

different blades for different materials. That is why they make so many:) This goes for any cutting tool:)

JimB

The website says depth of cut is only 3/4 inch. Doesn't seem like a good option.

Top Bottom