Scroll chucks versus Collets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
First off, I really don't want to start a fight and I absolutely agree that, all things being equal, collets are infinately more accurate than any type of scroll chuck.
But......let's discuss the merits of each before we decide what is best for each of us and also before we tell someone that they really need collets if they want a round pen. Some people really don't have a lot of money and often need tooling that can perform more than one function.

I don't have collets but I am saving to get a set for my metal lathe. But we are generally talking about using them on wood lathes.

My scroll chuck came with two sets of jaws. One set is still in the box as I rarely turn stuff that require them. The pin jaws have been in it since I got it.
I just did a test.... I removed the jaws and lightly clamped a transfer punch in the chuck just with the jaw holders ( is there a proper name for them? ) I don't have a proper Test Rod
I mounted a dial indicator and was very impressed with the result.
I got a difference of 0.06mm ( 0.002 in ? ) Now that isn't bad by any standards.
Now I replaced the jaws making sure the numbers on them matched.
Mmmm...0.26mm ( 0.010 in ? ) Pretty poor by machine standards and if that was on a metal lathe, I'd be worried.
But lets think about that for a minute. Just how much IS 0.26mm?
And let's not forget that the actual 'out of round' is half that. So how much is 0.13mm? I hunted around to find something that we all are familiar with.....a sheet of paper from my printer. Bang on almost at 0.14mm.
Now as John so clearly showed in his great video, if the blanks isn't squared perfectly to the tube then it will be out of round. Can you really get that accurate with a pen mill? Home made sander jig? MMmmmm

I took a pic of my jaws and I'm sure you will agree that they are not pretty and have had a lot of abuse. :eek: But I will dress them up with a Dremel this weekend for sure. I will use my metal lathe to do this, but there are methods on the web that show you how.

My wood lathe is the worst type in the world.....a pipe lathe. This is the type that has a a round tube as the bed and the tailstock can swivel from 11 to 1 oclock position without a problem. ( cool if you need a nice taper:redface: ) So you can see that it would be a complete waste to fit a precision collet chuck to this lathe.

But I have also yet to see any wood lathe where the tailstock can travel and remain perfectly aligned to the headstock. To get any benifit from collets, the TS must always be equally or better accuracy than the headstock. If you have a nice collet chuck and your TS quill flops around like a fish out of water then you have wasted your money. No doubts.

So what can a collet chuck do in a wood lathe that a half decent scroll chuck can't? In my opinion, absolutely nothing.
A scroll chuck on the other hand can do lots. With only two sets of jaws against a large full set of collets there is just no contest. You can hold virtually any irregular shape from round to oblong.

I've waffled enough and it's obvious where I stand, but I'd like to hear from the other side too. If you can state a good case for collets in a wood lathe then please do so.:biggrin:

Attachments

• Scroll1.jpg
    Scroll1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Scroll2.jpg
    Scroll2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Scroll3.jpg
    Scroll3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 164

rjwolfe3

I'm not sure but I had a hard time drilling straight down the center with my scroll chuck but it could just be me. I just know that ever since I switched to a collet chuck no more off center holes. It is my understanding that doing bullets is easier with a collet chuck but I havent tried those yet.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Skippy,

I agree with your conclusion--if I have only one, the scroll chuck will be it.

So why do I have both? When drilling a large hole in a blank, leaving little material remaining, the collet gives 360 degree support and the scroll chuck doesn't. I was made MOST aware of this when I blew up a blank Eagle made for me. It was polyresin with an inset. He had drilled them successfully on his collet, I did not have a collet, so I used the scroll jaws.

However, most of the time, this is not a factor. So, I remain in agreement with you-if I only have ONE, it will be the scroll chuck.

I AM, however, glad to have both (only took fifteen years to get the collet, so it's not indispensable!!)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm not sure but I had a hard time drilling straight down the center with my scroll chuck but it could just be me. I just know that ever since I switched to a collet chuck no more off center holes. It is my understanding that doing bullets is easier with a collet chuck but I havent tried those yet.

This is also true, I marred many bullets with my scroll chuck jaws. Turn quick and easy on collet.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
IF you have something you have to grip in the lathe that is very thin and or soft, the collets will grip it better by compressing on the entire piece than the chuck jaws which can crush or oblong the piece as you tighten the jaws.

rjwolfe3

Let me add that if I add a decent scroll chuck maybe I would get more use out of it. I have a small one and while it works ok, it is not very versatile.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok, I always thought that a bullet was tapered:confused: How does one hold it in a collet so that it stays straight? I would have thought that it would be held by the end that gets clamped by the casing. In which case why does it matter if it gets marred?

As for blowing a segmented blank, surely the 360 grip of a collet only supports the blank for the length of the collet which is similar to the length of pin jaws? The part of the blank either side of the collet is no more protected or supported than any other method of holding.

I can appreciate the 'thin' material holding excuse even though I would rarely need that:biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Skippy,

I don't have true pin jaws. I use, what I believe are termed, #1 jaws??

And my shooting semantics are terrible. I hold the brass part that turns into the pen---call it whatever you wish. It spun in the scroll chuck. The collet, positioned immediately below the part I am going to drill (which is the "back" of the projectile) will hold it while I drill. And I don't want marks on it, because it will become a pen ( I KNOW that term), ballpoint version!!!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ed I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs but I only found out that the casings are tapered as well after you sent me the bag full of them:biggrin: I use electrical tape in my shop like it's going out of fashion. In the pic below ( one jaw removed for the pic ) I used two layers on the wide end and 4 on the narrow end. That sorts out the taper holding and prevents marring too. I even use this method when boring a polished item in my metal lathe. Don't wrap the item in a spiral fashion though, make two 'rings' like I have. You can also use o-rings, lots of grip and no marring:biggrin:

Attachments

• TaperAntiMarring.jpg
    TaperAntiMarring.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Generally on about any bullet component there is a section that is not tapered and this is where the collet will grip. It is really the only application I have that it is needed over the scroll chruck(scroll chuck mars the bullets).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs but I only found out that the casings are tapered as well after you sent me the bag full of them:biggrin: I use electrical tape in my shop like it's going out of fashion. In the pic below ( one jaw removed for the pic ) I used two layers on the wide end and 4 on the narrow end. That sorts out the taper holding and prevents marring too. I even use this method when boring a polished item in my metal lathe. Don't wrap the item in a spiral fashion though, make two 'rings' like I have. You can also use o-rings, lots of grip and no marring:biggrin:

Which proves what we all know here: You are infinitely RESOURCEFUL!!! And very CLEVER!!

I whip it into the beall collet, no tape on, drill, 20 seconds later remove (using long nose pliars, so I don't burn myself) with hole in it and move on to the next one. In fifteen minutes, I can have about a dozen drilled. No tape to remove (which would have gotten hot and will be "baked on")

Both methods WILL work, I agree. I am lazy, and I PRODUCE. You are patient and you make one-ofs, BEAUTIFULLY!! Especially StarTrek related!!! (No, she did not bribe me). People would much rather have YOURS!!!

VisExp

I agree with you for the most part Steven, but I do prefer the 360 degree support that a collet chuck offers when drilling segmented blanks.

Jim Smith

I think that given the choice, most people would have both as they each meet a different need. That being said, I consider you to be one of the most resourceful, creative and meticulous pen turners on this site and I am consistently amazed at the pens you create. I just got a Bealle collet chuck and a full set of collets for Christmas (from me!) and I can only hope that it helps me get a bit more accurate with my pen making.

P.S. I was over in your neck of the woods (sort of) all last week and I must say, the weather left a bit to be desired. Eight inches of snow, no roads plowed and temps in the low teens (F). We were stuck in our hotel for four days in Farnborough.

Jim Smith

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I had (briefly) a collet chuck, but didn't see it as better for anything I was doing
with the exception of the bullet casings. On a metal lathe, I can definitely see
the advantage .. even necessity in some cases.

I've had the pin jaws on my scroll chuck pretty much forever unless I'm turning
something other than pens. I drill blanks with the pin jaws and the biggest
problem I have is making sure that the blank is square. otherwise, it could
pivot somewhat on irregular shaped woods. Square blanks get held by all four
jaws. Rectangle blanks are only held by two jaws.

The electrical tape would make me worried about runout. Do you have any
trouble making sure that the thickness is the same around all of the blank?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jim, you should have said that you were in the UK, I would have made a detour on my travels to join you for a pint in the pub at Farnborough.
LOL, Farnborough airbase was the first place I 'Skip-Dived' :biggrin: I got about twenty meters of aluminium rod that used to be an military antena (sp?):biggrin:
8 inches of snow is a lot for the UK. Anymore than 1 inch and the UK grinds to a halt. We have about 2 - 3 inches at the moment where I live in North Wales.:rolleyes:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
The electrical tape would make me worried about runout. Do you have any
trouble making sure that the thickness is the same around all of the blank?

Charlie, I wouldn't use it where I need precision or wasn't worried about marring a polished part. That is why I apply the tape in bands and not spirally.
I would also bet that the tape would have less adverse effect than a sloppy wood lathe TS quill.
Although I do round 90% of my blanks first, I haven't had a problem drilling an oblong in my scroll chuck. I also often drill in an oblong blank using my 3 jaw chuck in my metal lathe. It's actually pretty easy to get a square in the middle of three jaws.

Texatdurango

I won't get into which is better because I really don't see that one is necessarily better than the other, they both serve their purpose and the buying decision is really personal because more often than not, the decision is based on affordability rather than functionality.

To me, it's all about convenience and comfort. I use my scroll chucks on my larger wood lathe 100% of the time while using the collet chuck on the mini lathe 80% of the time and the metal lathe is probably split 50/50.

I find that using the collet chuck allows me to do things I couldn't do with a scroll chuck regardless how accurate it is so I tend to use collets more.

The main reason I like a collet chuck is when I make a pen from scratch I'll chuck it up in a collet and that is where it lives until it comes off the lathe… a finished pen. That includes all turning, drilling, tapping, sanding and polishing and I have just gotten into a routine that I am comfortable with. I can take a blank out, flip it over end for end, stick it back in and continue working without having to worry if the blank is wobbling or not or of if the jaws are digging into the blank. I can't imagine sanding a blank to 1000 grit then polishing it, flipping it end for end in a scroll chuck to finish the other end because the jaws would surely leave their mark, yet I do it all the time in a collet without so much as leaving a mark.

But to someone who only turns kit blanks on their lathe or making pens is only a portion of what they use their lathe for, listening to my rationale doesn't make much sense to them and only serves to prove how personal tool decisions really are.

I just hope everyone is having as much fun as I am! :biggrin:

BigguyZ

I think Skippy's post is great, and I agree that scroll shuck are more versatile and someone who uses one shouldn't feel pushed into a collet chuck because they're not as accurate as the collet. I have a scroll chuck, and I use the pin jaws for everything. But when I need to use my "pin" chuck for closed end pens, I switch to my jacobs chuck to hold it. I just get less wobble. I don't have a collet chuck yet, but I plan to get one for the same reason Ed and George have noted. The collet chuck isn't necessarily better overall, but it may be better for some tasks. When I get to segmented pens, I'll definitly want to remove any chance of misalignment.

So yeah, the scroll chuck is fabulous, and I'm glad I bought mine first (even though I wasn't really aware of the collet chuck at the time). But I definitely want the collet chuck now for some more advanced possibilities.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
OK, I concede on some of the points made for collets but still not convinced about others. While collets offer almost 360 support, they only do so for the length of the collet. Just like scroll chucks they offer zero support for the rest of a ( segmented ) blank.
Try a little test....with a drill bit in a jacobs chuck in the TS, extend the quill say about 2 1/2 inches ( average blank drilling depth) now hold the end of the drill bit and see how much movement you have. For me, that kind of movement defeats the object of collets.

Although I don't have one yet, I'm very surprised that someone hasn't pointed out another ( possibly the best ) reason to get one?

All the ones I've concidered buying are very smooth with no protrusions and are unlikely to catch hold of a chisel or knuckle. As my metal lathe chucks are pretty accurate ( well, more than my abilities anyway :frown: ) this will be my main reason for getting one. I won't bother on my wood lathe.

But thanks for the civil replies so far.:biggrin:

jleiwig

All the ones I've concidered buying are very smooth with no protrusions and are unlikely to catch hold of a chisel or knuckle. As my metal lathe chucks are pretty accurate ( well, more than my abilities anyway :frown: ) this will be my main reason for getting one. I won't bother on my wood lathe.

But thanks for the civil replies so far.:biggrin:

I will tell you that the knurl on the PSI version can heat up some knuckle skin right quickly to the point you wonder where the fire was. :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL Justin. One of the sad things I find about getting old is that it takes longer for my dumb brain to register pain. I dripped some CA onto my lap once and it took for ever to figure out why I was jumping around the shop!!! It wasn't fun un-sticking my jeans from my leg:eek::biggrin:

dogcatcher

The collet chuck is more efficient for some jobs, as is the scroll chuck for others. If I could only have one I would choose the scroll chuck with all of the jaws. I have both and both get used all of the time.

Texatdurango

I am reminded of a discussion several months ago when I was visiting a fellow turners shop to show him how to do a CA finish. We got to talking about chucks and I asked him if he had a collet chuck and he didn't know what I was talking about!

This gentleman is considered one of the finest wood turners in the area if not the entire state and does seminars throughout the year and yet he had never even heard of a collet chuck, but then again, he probably never had a need for one making his masterpieces.

This just further illustrates that unless you have a definate need for one there is no sense in getting one just because others have them or use them. We were never meant to have identical setups, that's what makes this group so diverse.

And as far as the knurled nut on the PSI chuck, I wouldn't mind a little skin loss now and then to have one. There are days that my arthritus plays hell with me trying to loosen the nut on my Beall nut.

I've been thinking of buying a knurling tool for my metal lathe to see if I could cut my own knurls!

Daniel

I have both a collet and scroll chuck. My scroll chuck is a Nove2 so it is not a cheap limited one. Actually I own 3 collet chucks and one scroll chuck. sort of tells the story right there.
My first response tot he question has been to say. For pen turning I prefer the collet chuck hands down. But then immediately this brings up nagging points like. Just what is involved in "Penturning"? sheesh. well for me this means you need to cut drill glue a tube mount to a mandrel and turn to finished shape and finish. no segmenting issues. no getting blanks round issues, no oversize blanks or alternative materials or?????

So immediately I see the situation that I have a square blank that I need to be able to drill accurately on the lathe. how do I get it round so that the collet chuck can hold it so accurately. well in my shop the answer is the scroll chuck. Sorry I don't have any other answers than that at the moment cause I have never needed one.
So now I am at a position with your question of having a blank I can drill but not accurately enough or having a blank I cannot drill at all because it will not fit in my chuck. Along comes the trusty whittling knife to save the day. well maybe kinda sort of.

I turn peppermills, tool handles and even things like candle sticks on my scroll chuck. pens are pretty much only with a collet chuck. turning square things round is done with the scroll chuck with the exception of pen blanks that are drilled and mounted on a mandrel.
bullets are drilled only with the collet, blanks requiring high degree of accuracy are also drilled with the collet. pendants are also mounted to lathe with a collet chuck, while large square blanks would be rounded and even parted off to be pendant blanks with the scroll chuck.
with a broader idea of what is involved in penturning I can only say, I am more grateful than ever before that I have both.

I do find this general rule to work for me. smaller and more detailed go with the collet, bigger, odd shaped items and stronger hold go with the scroll chuck.
the difference it is a bit like the difference in a framing hammer and a sledge hammer.

Last edited:

jleiwig

So immediatley I see the situation that I have a square blank that I need to be able to drill accuratley on the lathe. how do I get it round so that the collet chuck can hold it so accurately. well in my shop the answer is the scroll chuck. Sorry I don't have any other answers than that at the moment cause I have never needed one.
So now I am at a positon with yoru question of having a blank I can drill but not accurately enough or having a blank I cannot drill at all beause it will not fit in my chuck. Along comes the trusty whittling knife to save the day. well maybe kinda sort of.

Me thinks that if you round your blanks first and then stick them in the collet chuck for drilling you don't need to use your scroll chuck. No need for a whittling knife!

I no longer own a scroll chuck because 99% of my work is handled by the collet chuck, and the scroll chuck was collecting dust.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
LOL Justin. One of the sad things I find about getting old is that it takes longer for my dumb brain to register pain. I dripped some CA onto my lap once and it took for ever to figure out why I was jumping around the shop!!! It wasn't fun un-sticking my jeans from my leg:eek::biggrin:

Where was I when the tickets went on sale?? :eek:

Emaxx3

Interesting topic guys... one question though... my understanding is that pin jaws are designed to be expanded into a recess / hole rather than clamping like shown in some previous posts. Because the jaws only are maintained by one screw rather than 2. If it is fine to clamp with pin jaws as shown (duh - otherwise there wouldn't be such a hot topic) than I am ordering the pin jaws from Grizz this week. The #2 jaws are fine for bowls but do not hold my pen blanks so good :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I believe that we are all in agreement that collets will hold a round blank more accurately centred than a scroll chuck. No doubt about it.
We also agree that it will support a fragile rounded segmented blank better, but only the part actually in the collet.
We also all seem to agree that a collet will be less likely to mark a bullet, for example. Cool :cool: that's good.

But how does this relate to the TS fitted with a drilling chuck and a drill bit? I can only use mine as an example and have already said it is far too loosely ( poorly ? ) fitted to offer any degree of accuracy while being cranked. I can make it perfect while the quill is clamped, but not while moving.

How about someone being honest and seeing how much slop they have and on what type of lathe?:rolleyes:
When you drill a deep hole, does the drill bit squeal like a banshee?
If you need to move the TS further to make a very deep hole ( like for a long click pen ) with the lathe off, can the TS slide the bit cleanly in and out of the hole without binding? The point I'm trying to make is, is the TS / chuck / bit a match for the accuracy of the collets?

If for arguements sake we accept that a collet is 100% accurate and scroll chuck is say only 90% then the TS assembly would need to be higher than 90% accurate to get the any benifit from the collet. I think.
If the TS assembly ( quill, morse taper adaptor, jacobs chuck, bit ) is less than 90% while moving then surely it defeats the object of the collet.:confused:

I also want to point out that with pin jaws, there are actually 8 points of contact on a square or round blank, the same as a collet:wink: In fact some collets only have 6.

Texatdurango

......I also want to point out that with pin jaws, there are actually 8 points of contact on a square or round blank, the same as a collet:wink: In fact some collets only have 6.

Yep, there may only be 8 points of contact on a collet BUT... look at the WIDTH of those points! :biggrin: I would guesstimate that close to 90% of the surface of the blank is in contact with the metal surface of the collet... AND it has that amount of contact for 1.6" in case you are using an er-32 collet. That's a lot of even gripping power and for a 2" long blank, almost the entire length of the blank!

Not bad eh!

Attachments

• cc7.jpg
    cc7.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 129

dogcatcher

It all boils down to convenience, each chuck has points that are better than the other for particular jobs. In reality to make a pen you don't need either chuck. But I prefer to make a pen as easy to as possible while getting the best pen as the end result. So I use both my scroll and collet chuck. Do I need them? No, but I won't give them up.

Chuck Key

But how does this relate to the TS fitted with a drilling chuck and a drill bit? I can only use mine as an example and have already said it is far too loosely ( poorly ? ) fitted to offer any degree of accuracy while being cranked. I can make it perfect while the quill is clamped, but not while moving.

It tells me that the lathe is a poor substitute for a drill press. This can also be judged by comparing the late tail stock quill to even the lowest cost drill press. If accuracy is important maybe the drill press is the tool to use.

Chuckie

jleiwig

I think my tailstock advances just fine. As long as you keen the locking lever tight, but not so tight that it can't move, I've never had any accuracy problems. If you run the locking lever all the way out, then yeah, your going to get a lot of slop.

philb

Well I can't even get my tailstock to line up with headstock! So I couldn't tell you which as more accurate for drilling!!

I can see how a collet is better for segment and fragile blanks. But for drilling of normal or square blanks then a scroll is fine! Especially if you your tailstock is even a 1mm or less sloppy.

Phil

Daniel

Me thinks that if you round your blanks first and then stick them in the collet chuck for drilling you don't need to use your scroll chuck. No need for a whittling knife!

I no longer own a scroll chuck because 99% of my work is handled by the collet chuck, and the scroll chuck was collecting dust.

Turning blank round, between centers I presume. I don't do that often but it would be an answer that allows me to get by with just the collet chuck.

Daniel

How about someone being honest and seeing how much slop they have and on what type of lathe?:rolleyes:
When you drill a deep hole, does the drill bit squeal like a banshee?
If you need to move the TS further to make a very deep hole ( like for a long click pen ) with the lathe off, can the TS slide the bit cleanly in and out of the hole without binding? The point I'm trying to make is, is the TS / chuck / bit a match for the accuracy of the collets?

I have not taken any actual measurments but can if you really want them. So this is nothign more than me looking at my lathes and giving it a good enough or not good enough rating.
I own three lathes, two of which get a pass for drilling with and the third a non pass.
Lathe 1 is a mini metal lathe that I actually do have measurments on. it has 0.001" run out from the tail stock to the head stock with the tail stock set 12 inches from the head. There is not even that much play int he tail stock quill when it is not locked down so I always have it in my head that I have less then 0.002" of play with anything I am drilling with that lathe.
lathe 2 is an old pre Harbor Freight, Harbor Freight quality pipe bed lathe. My guestimate is that the tail stock can have as much as 1/4 of play in it and jsut where it lines up depends on jsut what part fo the pipe it is setting on. this is the inno way shape or form are you gonna drill with this thing lathe.
Lathe 3 is a new HF knock off of a Jet lathe. flat bed, good tail stock with no noticable play or offset to the head stock and tail stock. this lathe has been used to drill often but if I need to know exactly where a hole will be I go to the mini lathe.

No chuck is going to help a bad tail stock.

Oh by the way my collets and chuck are rated as being accurate to within 0.001" as well. these are the cheap ones if you want 0.0001 accuracy you will pay pretty steeply for it.

workinforwood

Well Steve..I'm following all you are saying and can't find anything I disagree with. This is why I sold my collet chuck on my wood lathe. On my metal lathe however, the collet chuck is sweeeet!!! Almost as good as my wife, but not quite!:tongue:

Texatdurango

Well Steve..I'm following all you are saying and can't find anything I disagree with. This is why I sold my collet chuck on my wood lathe. On my metal lathe however, the collet chuck is sweeeet!!! Almost as good as my wife, but not quite!:tongue:

Jeff, How are you using your collet chuck on the metal lathe and how were you using the collet chuck on your wood lathe? I'm just curious since I've had my metal lathe now for almost a year and I rarely use my collet chuck on my metal lathe.

Maybe there are some tasks easier performed on the metal lathe that I'm overlooking. Come on... share the knowledge!:)

workinforwood

Well George, you would need to see my metal lathe to truly understand the nature of the beast. It uses a bolt on system instead of a typical thread on system. Because things have to be bolted on, you are quite limited by the accessories available and when using the accessories, it is very time consuming to align them when they are installed. You have a big plate with 3 holes in it that bolts go it, so a chuck of any kind has to have bolt holes in it in the same position. But, you can't just tighten the bolts and expect that the chuck is in the center..that would be too easy! So you have to mess with that, and then you have to mess with the fingers on the chuck, so you have double the alignment work to do. That is only a small part of why though, because once it is set up right, you are good to go as long as you don't make changes. The biggest reason for the collet chuck is the safety aspect. Those huge fingers flying around are not too friendly on a jaw chuck! The collet chuck allows me to get the alignment more precise..although I know the number difference is extremely small. Marring is pretty much non existant, and I know with a chuck it can still be minimal, but every little bit helps. The 5C chuck I use is super simple and quick to change collets. Because I am using 5C collets, I can pull the entire collet and the pen out of the machine and I can transfer it to a collet fixture which would allow me to index and mill the side of something using the lathe or a mill, while not needing to purchase more collets. A collet fixture can be purchased for as low as $30. You can just mount that to a table and pull out a router and start milling that way if desired. Versatility, speed, accuracy. Plus, there are a ton of other types of collets I can purchase, like expanding collets and there are mini pin chucks that all are designed for the 5C system. I do not necessarily own all of these pieces of equipment, but some day down the road I would like to, and so I like to use a system that allows room for growth.
On the wood lathe, I would use the collet chuck to drill certain blanks that required the hole be very precise. I would also use it for closed end pens, and that was it. But every time I used it, I had to mess with my alignment and even then it could change in an instant because the tail stock has a tiny bit of slop on the wood lathe. Every time you move the tail stock and lock it, it is in a different spot. The movement isn't a huge movement, but it is there and if it is off by 2 hairs, when you extend out the drill bit 3 inches, it then is amplified into 8 hairs or whatever..you know what I mean. I find that if I always pull towards me as I slide the tailstock and lock it, that helps alot, but still isn't fool proof. I love my little jet mini, but it isn't tight and tolerant like the metal lathe and the adjustablility of the jet mini kinda sucks. I can sit there for 20 minutes and get it all sweet, and tighten the crap out of it, but after a couple pens, the head will have moved a couple mil's from the vibration of a spinning blank pounding against a chisel.

So these are my reasons. I love my metal lathe. I do wish I had known about the spindle type though before I bought it. That would have changed my mind. I would still rather use the collets over the jaws in the metal lathe, but there are times I wish I could just pull the collets off so I can simplify down to a dead center. As it is, I do all my dead center work on the wood lathe.

Top Bottom