Scroll Chuck Jaw Truing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok, so I know that if you need real accurate machining, then a collet chuck is the way to go.
A self centering scroll chuck is a fantastic tool but has bad reputation ( unfairly IMHO) for not being accurate enough for precision work.
I recently needed to use my previously unused 4 jaw SC chuck and once I machined the faceplate and got it mounted, I measured the accuracy.
(The accuracy of a scroll chuck has a gazzillion variables...the wear on the scroll and jaw teeth, the cleanliness of its parts and the diameter of the work to name a few. )
I started off with a clean and de-greased chuck. I knew that I wasn't going to get it perfect over the entire jaw opening range, so I only measured the error between 6mm and 14mm diameter workpieces.

My error was varying between 0.08mm and 0.15mm. Not a massive amount but certainly not great and not a good as I need.

First I set the jaws so that they were just 'inside' the bore of the chuck body. Then I marked the faces of the jaws with marker pen. Then set the machine to Warp Factor 5. ( Full Speed :wink: ) Centrifugal force to keep the jaws tight on the scroll.
Using a Dremel type handpiece in the toolpost, I took minute passes over the spinning jaws. It took around ten back and forth passes with out changing the grind cut depth until there was no more tiny sparks.
I continued this till all the marker pen was removed from all the jaws.

Result? With a dial indicator I get an error of 0.01 to 0.02mm with test bars of 10mm and 20mm diameter respectively.:biggrin:

I then removed the chuck, thoroughly cleaned and lubed it and stuck it back on. Almost identical results!!! Neddless to say, I'm very happy!!:biggrin:

I read this method of truing a SCSC on the web a few years ago, but I didn't fully understand how it worked till now. I wish I had thought about it years ago, cos it's actually a LOT simpler than it might seem.:rolleyes:

If you'd like to have a go, but can't figure out something, then please ask and I'll try and explain it better.

Attachments

• 4JawDressing4.jpg
    4JawDressing4.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 535
  • 4JawDressing3.jpg
    4JawDressing3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 713
  • 4JawDressing2.jpg
    4JawDressing2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 299
  • 4JawDressing.jpg
    4JawDressing.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 443
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I never realized that centrifical force was enough to load the jaws for this sort of operation

workinforwood

I have a warp factor 5 on my machine too, and if a scroll chuck is installed and spinning at that speed it sounds like a tornado in the shop...almost scary enough to make you pee yourself! Excellent Demo, and unbelievable that dremel didn't die, even with micro cuts inside that thing! Wow.

I really like how that tool fits into that boring bar holder. What exactly is the rotary tool you are using that fits in a 3/4 hole?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Eric, I was a bit dubious about that too and thought that the jaws may be loose against the scrolls, but apparently as long as the speed is pretty high then it is fine. The chuck is rated at 2500rpm max and my machine can't go any faster than that anyway. 2500rpm on a metal lathe is a wild ride!!!:eek:
I did think of doing it with a 'ring' held in between the back end of the jaws and then later grinding off the un-centered bits, but this method seems pretty common.

Jeff, the handpiece is from Axminsters heavy duty Flexi drive unit. It's a full 1inch dia. I took out the sleeve from the holder

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-heavy-duty-flexible-drive-unit-prod20091/

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-heavy-duty-flexible-drive-unit-handpieces-with-collets-prod30234/

It really is a tough bit of kit and I love it. But I did take extremely light passes though.
I have used it with cut off wheels and easily cut through 20mm dia stainless bolts.

Last edited:

DurocShark

That is a great idea! I don't have a way to mount my dremel, but I'm wondering if chucking up a stone in the drill chuck would work as well, if slower?

Top Bottom