Scrimshaw Test

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

After having a chat with Jon(Goodturns) about Scrimshaw I done some research on it and decided I could at least give it a try. I priced a few tools and decided I better try and make my own before shelling out any cash on some. I took 2 different size sewing needles and made handles for them from some scrap cedar I had. I poured some white acrylic to work on because I just am not buying Ivory to practice on. Here are my tools and my first attempt at Scrimshaw. I colored in the scratches in with a sharpie. Comments and Critiques are always welcome and thanks for looking.
41874F17-FAAD-43D9-BD02-1DD8830CAE67-1349-0000017CF592670B.jpg

6FFA17AF-618D-476E-BDEA-76E701E9005D-1349-0000017CF1256694.jpg

A45FFC4A-29C3-4848-8459-5CD7A6881BC5-1349-0000017A847A8A85.jpg

D6B217E4-052C-473E-82FA-3CE91CB64D90-1349-0000017A813F521C.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
That's a good start. I too have played with scrimshaw and have done some period powder horns with a fair amount of detail. The tools you made are very much like the ones I made and they will work fine. The hardest part is getting a pattern on the base material. Here is a trick I was taught that helps. Find a pattern you like, and that is the right size, then place it on a soft wood or a cork surface, with a small brad nail in a tool handle like you made, pierce all around the pattern so that you can see the design when held to a light. Now you can use baby powder, if the base is dark, or graphite scraped from a pencil if it is light to "powder the pattern while it's held on the base. Carefully remove the pattern and you will have a dotted line that exactly follows the original. You can use the pattern several times and you can flip it over and reverse the pattern. I found that if you lightly spray the base with hairspray the powder sticks a little better. HTH.
WB
Keep at it, it's fun.

firewhatfire

good info thanks. I tried to use graphite on the back of the image to leave marks for me to see in the end it just didn't show up. I think I may better off free handing whatever image I am goingto use. I tried a compass next and had some issues with it also. It does pass the time and may end up being something useful. Like with all things practice seems the key.

Gary Beasley

good info thanks. I tried to use graphite on the back of the image to leave marks for me to see in the end it just didn't show up. I think I may better off free handing whatever image I am goingto use. I tried a compass next and had some issues with it also. It does pass the time and may end up being something useful. Like with all things practice seems the key.

A black crayon rubbed on the back of the image will work more like carbon paper if you don't mind making the mess. Not sure where you can still find carbon paper.

PTsideshow

Hunt up some tagua /palm nuts, lee valley and woodcraft and probably Rock has them they are the same material as ivory is only vegetable rather than animal. Works the same and is a lot cheaper.
They have a transfer paper that is a lot better than carbon paper. it isn't as messy It is called transfer paper. Your home made tools are good, last what was used back in the day!
Don't forget you can hit the local sewing department for larger dia needles to use for other effects.
For free hand drawing try using these Stabilo marking pencils Stabilo Colored Marking Pencils - BLICK art materials

Only the blue and white ones are removable with water/soap completely all the other colors leave ghost images. The sign man friend. I still use them for marking on a lot of materials.

Another great thing about Tauga nut it works as a nice accent with woods and glues and sands.
Vegetable Ivory some info on them

DOREN`S ARTISTIC WOODTURNING Here is a site that claims to have a large variety of palm nuts for sale. I haven't tried using them yet.
Don't know if you have found this site, Latest News from scrimshaw . com scrimshaw.com Latest News from scrimshaw . com | An Ancient Art on Eco-Friendly Materials

One word of caution about the books on scrimshaw. There is one booklet under 20 pages out there that turns up at knife shows on scrimshaw. They are asking outrageous prices $90.00 and up it is still for sale for under $19.00 the booklet isn't worth the money it isn't the be all and end all on scrimshaw it is very out dated,and light on real info.
:clown:

Top Bottom