Scrimshaw... Maori 'Totem' pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Artemiss

ohiococonut

From an artistic stand point the pen is nice but two dimensional. Although it's certainly not without merit.

Now, what you call your "regular" work that you've done on the knife handle is absolutely stunning. The depth and detail are simply amazing! Talent like that is rare and you certainly deserve praise.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

I just viewed The Artist's site. I hope this makes it to the Gallery. As it shows a different application of her particular art.

Artemiss

WOW... what a warm welcome!

Many thanks for the kind words, it's always nice to know your efforts are appreciated. :)

I recognise my strength is probably embellishment, rather than trying to manufacture to the high standard of much of the work I see here. Accordingly, I think I'm more likely to continue taking scrimshaw commissions, than fighting with chucks and tail-stocks!
Afterall, if you want your fish 'mongered'.... where do you go? :wink:

Here's another peice I really enjoyed working on...

-Medusa-onSuede3Large.jpg

Jo

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
WOW... what a warm welcome!

Many thanks for the kind words, it's always nice to know your efforts are appreciated. :)

I recognise my strength is probably embellishment, rather than trying to manufacture to the high standard of much of the work I see here. Accordingly, I think I'm more likely to continue taking scrimshaw commissions, than fighting with chucks and tail-stocks!
Afterall, if you want your fish 'mongered'.... where do you go? :wink:

Here's another peice I really enjoyed working on...

-Medusa-onSuede3Large.jpg

Jo
If that's a self portrait, I may want to pay a visit:).

If not, welcome to IAP. Really nice stuff.

Rick P

I must admit I was surprised to see such a young face behind your work. The native elders up this way are begging young people to get into carving and scrimshaw. We have so few carvers that a great deal, over half, the work sold here in Alaska is produced in Asia.

OKLAHOMAN

The artist I use here in Oklahoma is an American Indian and is in her late 50's and does great work. The Pen you did would sell up-wards of $500 to $750 here easy and a lot more if on a higher end component set.

JeffT

Beautiful work on the pen and the pieces on your web site. Thanks for sharing and we'll hope to see more!

EricJS

Jo,

Your talent is certainly off the scale. Your carvings are breathtaking.

A very big welcome to you. Please continue to show your latest artwork on our site. We really enjoy your work!:)

Top Bottom