Screw Cap FP - aligning the nib with the clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

Quick question, I recently did a Baron FP and after assembly found that when writing, the cap/clip did not land in my had where I would have liked. Maybe I'm dense, but I can't figure out how to align the clip once the press fit is complete on the cap (First step).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

The Baron has more than one set of threads, 4 I think. If it doesn't line up the way you like, unscrew it until it clicks and then rethread it. Keep doing that until it lines up so it's comfortable. You can also use a punch to knock the cap loose enough that you can turn the clip, then tape it in place and re-press the cap on.

alamocdc

I also asked about this when I did my first. Here is what I was told and have been doing since. Assemble the lower barrel and then press the clip and finial into the cap barrel first. Then screw the CB assembly on to the lower barrel (including the black plastic piece), and align the grain how you want it while pressing the cap barrel (by hand) onto the plastic. Carefully unscrew the CB from the lower barrel keeping the cap barrel in the desired position on the CB assy and finish pressing. When you screw the cap back on, one of the thread starts should have the grain aligned like you wanted it.

gerryr

Billy, I think he was talking about the clip being in the wrong place with the cap posted. I do the same as you to align the grain when the pen is closed. I haven't made a non-closed end Baron in so long, I don't even worry about posting anymore.

JimGo

Jeff,
It sounds like it's not just the grain alignment, but also the orientation of the clip that's a problem for you. This is likely to only be a problem on fountain pens, as you can rotate rollerballs without a problem! As Gerry said, you can always try one of the three "other" positions for the cap, but that doesn't always guarantee it will line up where comfortable. Try doing what Billy said, but do it for both the closed and open positions. That is, if you've done a pen for which the grain can/should be aligned, you can assemble the cap, then put the threaded portion from the "writing half" of the lower barrel into the cap, align the grain, and then press it together snuggly enough that it's not going to move. Remove the cap, then finish pressing that portion together. If I were you, I'd then install the nib and feeder into the threaded insert you just pressed into the pen, then flip everything around and repeat the process with the threaded insert on the other side, making sure the cap and clip hit your hand in a more comfortable position.

Good luck!

alamocdc

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Billy, I think he was talking about the clip being in the wrong place with the cap posted. I do the same as you to align the grain when the pen is closed. I haven't made a non-closed end Baron in so long, I don't even worry about posting anymore.

DOH!!! You're right, Gerry. I read too quickly again. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom