score!!! Bog Yew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

Hi Mike,
I hope Im wrong but it doesn't look to me like Bog yew, just ordinary yew, that's been cut and stored normally.
I'm no expert on bog wood but I thought it always went a very dark and aged colour as a result of being submerged for many years in a bog, whereas those look no different to the many yew blanks that I have.
Apologies if Im wrong
regards, Bill

Druid

Not to start a controversy here but not all bog wood turns dark, look at ancient Kauri for example, its as cognac as they come and some pieces are over 10,000 years old dug out of a bog.

Russianwolf

yeah, they will usually be darker than "fresh wood", but a chemical reaction with the tannins in the Oak is what makes those so black. Yew, Kauri, and the others don't have the tannin, so they don't get as dark.

I'll know for sure once I have them in hand, there is some very obvious differences between bog and non-bog woods. I have a lot of practice on everything but the Yew.

Here's a pic of some Bog Yew that a friend in Dublin sent me. The wood is collected from her Brother-in-law's land near the west coast. (Along with some of the blackest Bog Oak I've gotten).

Attachments

• bog yew opener.JPG
    bog yew opener.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 224
  • bog oak sculptur.JPG
    bog oak sculptur.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

keithkarl2007

this is just some of the bog yew i have, some of it is quite dark, other pieces are dark purple with orange running through it

Attachments

• bog yew 002new.jpg
    bog yew 002new.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 248
  • bog yew 005new.jpg
    bog yew 005new.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Top Bottom