School Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

So my 13 yr old son came home today and says he has an assignment to pick an inventor from a list the teacher provided and do a report and make an item like the invention. So he says he picked a guy named Waterman and wants me to show him how to make a fountain pen. I was really happy since I've had trouble getting him to show any interest in making a pen. So you know what my first question was...you want to make it a kit pen or kitless? LOL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If it were my son this assignment would be due in the morning, and I would not be hearing about it until around 10:00 pm.

Just by his choice he must have been paying at least some attention to what you were saying.
Or at breakfast before he leaves for school, "Oh, yeah, I have this project due today..." :biggrin:

Sawdust46

I think this is the closest thing to a compliment a 13 year old would give his dad. You should be proud.....have you (that's the plural you) finished the pen?

Gilrock

Yes we finished the pen. I let him do about as many steps as I could get him to do. I even let him control the auto feed lever on the metal lathe while I cringed hoping he wouldn't stop it too late. I didn't get a chance to photograph it yet. We used these green/black blanks from Exotic blanks called Black Forest and they looked awesome.

When he finally brought the pen back home from being on display I inspected it and noticed the finial on the cap was scuffed. I asked what happened and he said.."Nothing". After digging deeper apparently he had already told my wife that it slipped and fell on the pavement. We had it in a sleeve which protected everything but the end of the cap. So we need to chuck it back up and re-polish the end.

Haynie

"Nothing":biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I teach this age group and hear that often.

Glad you got to do something with your son. Still can't get my two into the shop.

The Penguin

If it were my son this assignment would be due in the morning, and I would not be hearing about it until around 10:00 pm.

Just by his choice he must have been paying at least some attention to what you were saying.
Or at breakfast before he leaves for school, "Oh, yeah, I have this project due today..." :biggrin:
are ya'll sure we don't all have the same kid?

:confused:

Top Bottom