Scavanger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

Anywhere. You take what you can find or what you are given, cut it to size (pens, bowls, pepper mills, stoppers,) and try it out. The library has links to info about wood types/names so go at it. Don't leave wood! If you don't like it, somebody else will and you can make a few bucks.

But you have to show us what you found and what you made. Burls are especialy treasured.

1080Wayne

Brent Think about tree prunings , storm damage , driftwood , trees cut down in the name of progress for homes or roads . Think of trees that have suffered stress - insect or fungal infestations , rubbing of branches , continual wind exposure , drought . Think of knots , crotches , limbs that droop , roots . Above all , think small - anything a half inch or larger puts you in the game . Have fun! Wayne

karlkuehn

Banned
A lot of my stuff comes from the woods. Just out hiking around, you're bound to find some stuff laying around, dead logs are fun to pick at. I kick the really soft stuff off and look at what's inside...anything usable goes in the truck. :)

Dario

Try to only get pieces that are figured. Burl, crotch, curly parts, root ball, etc. I learned how to spot these easily by looking at the wood part and by observing the bark.

Spalted pieces is another story and you won't really know until you open it up. You will have to observe how and where the wood was stored and for how long. Poke it with a knife or something and see if it is too far gone. Mushy/Punky stuff is not worth it.

If you don't choose, you will have a lot of "junk" in a short while. Watch out for insects too...you don't want to bring home any that might end up eating your house framings too.

Good luck!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
This is a piece my friend found while walking on his in-laws ranch:
20083262571_ChamiseBurl.jpg

It is called Chamise burl.

This is a piece found in my father-in-laws firewood stack:
200832615581_OakBurl.jpg

This is oak.

GK

Jarheaded

I find some real nice wood by talking to someone at every tree job that I go by. I was just able to get over 200lbs of maple burl from one jobsite. Just avoid the local parks, they get mad about the littlest things...LOL[}:)]

Top Bottom