Scarlet Rose Lucite and Metallic Purple Majestics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

I was able to rock out two more pens today. I used a Scarlet Rose Lucite on a full sized Majestic for the first one and a Metallic Purple for the second one. No real mystery here, I turned the blanks, micro sanded to 12000 and used plastic polish to finish them off.

The Lucite and Metallic Purple were from our friendly exotics site and the purple one was a free blank! I'm very happy with it!

5606022539_6df608ea57_z.jpg

Scarlet Rose Lucite:
5606022239_06b8fecd54_z.jpg

Metallic Purple:
5606605936_46d9a0f445_z.jpg

This was my sunday! Not sure how many pens I have left in me before we move back to the U.S. The movers pack us up in about 4 weeks so I'll have to start packing my tools and lathe up.:frown:

Take care and best wishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I think it's safe to say that Lucite has quickly become my favorite material to turn. I made it a point to purchase another handfull from exotics last week to keep this in stock for future projects. Also, it's nice not having to put a CA finish on them...now that's enough of a selling point for me ;-)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Tim!!!

You did a great job on both pens!!!

However, could you say a little about how you PHOTOGRAPHED those??? Particularly the purple??? As I said in a different thread, we had several metallics made, just to use as "Freebee-Yippee" blanks. Far as I know this is the first that has been shown---but I KNOW they are hard to photo!!

Your photo is FABULOUS!!!
As are your pens!!

When you get back to the USA, you'll get your blanks much more quickly!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

wiset1

Thanks Tim!!!

You did a great job on both pens!!!

However, could you say a little about how you PHOTOGRAPHED those??? Particularly the purple??? As I said in a different thread, we had several metallics made, just to use as "Freebee-Yippee" blanks. Far as I know this is the first that has been shown---but I KNOW they are hard to photo!!

Your photo is FABULOUS!!!
As are your pens!!

When you get back to the USA, you'll get your blanks much more quickly!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks Ed,

Okay, here's how I go about taking my pictures for those who care to know.

I use a Nikon D300 with a 28-200 mm lens. My flash is a Nikon SB-900 fitted with a Nikon diffuser. Now for the step by step...I set my camera on aperture priority, and my flash set to RPT which fires twice at 10Hz. The flash is adjusted to fire vertically reflecting the burst against a mirror. This reflects the diffused light to fill any areas that are hidden by shadow. One important thing to remember is to focus the camera on your own and NOT let the camera find the focus point for you. If you have a point and shoot you'll have to let the camera find the focus, but if you have a DSLR camera you need to find your own focus as this will ensure a sharp image.

Once this is done I pull the image into Photoshop CS5 to do some minor post production work on it. I start by using the "Unsharpen Mask" which actually sharpens the image a bit. Then I adjust the levels and color balance to ensure the picture looks as much like the pen as I can get it. From there I just add a boarder and my name and post to the IAP.

Hope that helps...if not just PM me and I'll walk through it with you:biggrin:

Best wishes and good luck!

wiset1

More than happy to share! The D300S came out a week after I bought mine, but I've made my peace with it and just drive on. If the steps help others I'm happy to have posted it.

Best wishes

LeeR

Tim,

Thanks for the photo tip ...

And here I thought it might be a little complicated. :)

I do have a Nikon DSLR, but with a built-in flash. I think I 'll just take a day some weekend and build a light box. I am definitely getting shadows when I try to use the flash, or in combination with table lamps or available room lighting.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, now I think I know why you rarely see a good photo of purple: "and my flash set to RPT which fires twice at 10Hz. The flash is adjusted to fire vertically reflecting the burst against a mirror.

I chuckled!!How many mirrors have fallen off the ceiling before THAT system worked???

Great result!!

PaulDoug

I don't like purple, I don't like purple... ahh, maybe I don't like purple, but that sure is a pretty purple pen! Both are very pretty.

wiset1

I felt the same way at first and that's why this pen rod sat in my bin for about two months. Now that it's turned I can't imagine why I didn't turn it sooner. It has a very rich and royal look to it on a grand platform like the Majestic. As much as people don't like the pimp crystals on these pens I've truly looked past it for the sake of quality. These kits are pretty awesome and you can always modify the caps and pull the crystal and still be left with a quality pen.

Take care, best wishes, and I'm glad you're coming around to the purple. Remember, Ed has many more Metallic pen rods to choose from on the exotics site.

ToddMR

Those both look really cool. I REALLY like the red pen, WOW! It looks so great and really stands out to me. The purple pen looks nice as well. Nice job on both!

Top Bottom