Saw Class with Chris Schwarz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Hi All,

Yesterday (Sunday) I attended a class given by Chris Schwarz on hand sawing. It was given at the Woodcraft store in Sterling Heights Michigan. I drove down to the class with a good friend of mine, Steve Evans.

Chris is a very good presenter, teacher and humorist. As many of us know he has a passion for the history and accurate interpretation of hand tools, their provenance and usage over time.

Chris gave a very comprehensive talk on types of saws, their classifications, tooth geometry and characteristics. He also gave a great talk on the advantages of configurations of tooth geometry within a variety of cross cut and rip saws.
IMG_0290.jpg

The practical exercise of the class was to build a saw bench out of tropical southern pine, well for Canadians southern pine is an exotic wood. Chris began with us sawing on some scrap wood and working through a variety of sawing techniques, finally finding the one that proved to be a combination of good stance, controlled motion and relaxed grip.
IMG_0291.jpg

Chris wielding his Wenzloff Kenyon tenon saw!

IMG_0292.jpg

Chris making a Class 1 cut with his Sash back saw

IMG_0297.jpg

Chris face planning a half lap with a router plane

IMG_0298.jpg

Shooting shoulders…

Through out the class we worked in a series of steps that were spaced with instructional breaks as we worked on details of the project.

IMG_0293.jpg

Steve making a Class 2 cut!

Steve and I both had a compliment of Medallion saws made by a friend (Ed) who lives in Oakville. Ed’s saws were great, a definite fit for the Canadian Back Bencher’s (Chris named Steve and I that as we were on the back bench).

IMG_0285.jpg

Steve and I must have been separated at birth, look at our bench organization skills!

IMG_0296.jpg

We had a great day, lot’s of learning, great classmates and we all enjoyed Chris’s teaching.

Sawing wood by hand is really a combination of skills and selected tools, I have a new appreciation for the process and plan on developing it more as time goes on..

Thanks Steve, it was Good Flying with you in the Right seat.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

That looks like it must have been a fun, informative day. Thanks for the pictures.

As an aside, is that Matt, with the beard and baseball cap? I heard him on the Woodtalk Online blog say that he would be attending the class.

What a great way to spend the day!

I have an original (Pete Taran) Independence Tools dovetail saw, otherwise all vintage Disston or Jackson backsaws. I have my own Foley retoother so I can deal with buggered up teeth on old saws.

Top Bottom