Saved from a disaster!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TOF

TOF

So I decided to venture out and create my first fountain pen. This is a maple burl dyed red. I was down to the final turning and had a blow out when I was almost finished...I was able to find the chip that flew off and luckily it was still in one piece. I dry fitted it back on and saw that it was a perfect fit with no gaps, grabbed a little CA glue and back together...Whew what a close one.

So there I am adding my CA finish (3 coats of thin and 5 coats of medium) and I see that the glue has cured the tube to the bushing...after a few minutes of trying to ease them apart, I get another break off...This one a bit smaller. Hmmm I cannot get the broken piece off of the bushing without damaging it...So I decided to take the tube over to the sander and take it down .02 of an inch. Perfect, I was able to save this from not one but two break offs!

So happy this has a good ending for my first fountain...Still new to this and learning with every turn, only have about 20 pens under my belt...

Time to get some Non-stick bushings!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0159_edit.jpg
    IMG_0159_edit.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 395
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

I hate when that happens! Great save. The non-stick bushings work pretty well.

TOF

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the tip on the delrin rod!

I have gifted most of my pens...the greatest and most difficult part of creating these is parting with them. I love making them and how they turn out, and don't want to part with them, but also love the feeling of gifting one and getting such a positive response as "Wow you made that".

And for the ones I have sold, they have sold themselves. I show them off and people just say "I have to have one". Pretty cool when people appreciate them as much (if not a little less:wink:) as I do.

gbpens

Very attractive pen. If you are going to apply a CA finish on the lathe try rubbing a little candle wax on the end of the blank before mounting on the lathe. This will help in removing the tube from the bushings after the finish is complete.

vakmere

Sell it for .02% off. Literally.... Kidding, nice save. I've done that a few times to. I like the color.

Top Bottom