• Cloth backed paper/sheet form

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • paper backed paper roll form

• cloth backed paper roll form

• power sanding

• I normally skip straight to 12000 micromesh as my turning techniques are nearly perfect

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_1853

What type of sandpapers/sanding do you use? I personally have been using J weight cloth backed rolls that are available from most all the suppliers. Just looking to see if theres something more economical out there. Last time I bought a set it was like 16.95 or something for a 20ft roll of 150 through 400.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Also Mirka or Klingspor, usually the 20 pound cutoffs wherever possible.

Augment with purchased sheets, ripped to size. (What's on sale usually works best).[:D]

dubdrvrkev

I was going to vote for the last choice but I didn't want have everyone falling from their chairs laughing.
I'm phasing out my sheets and going to rolls, since I just cut all the sheets into strips anyway. The Klingspor Bargain Boxes are a decent way to go, but I now enough 120 &150 for years. I really like their J-Flex rolls and the Klingspor gold is very nice too, but I think its only available in 1" wide and I prefer 1.5".
The sheets I like is 3M blue J wt. But $$

dmadis

I use Norton 3X in sheets. Get it at the local Rockler. It does, as advertised, last 3 times longer and I think it cuts better also.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
You get what you pay for.. especially in finishing supplies... I only use good high quality sandpaper. I find it lasts longer and cuts cleaner than the bargain basement BORG stuff...
I usually purchase my stuff from Klingspor, but recently decided to try some of the new stuff that CSU is carrying... I bought some 400 and 600 grit.. it is a light blue gray paper and works beautifully and does not load up...

Rifleman1776

Klingspore Gold in 220 & 320 sheets. Will consider their bargain boxes next order. Then white non-woven sheets that are 800 to 1200 grit depending on whose ads you read (or belive). Still looking for others and better.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Frank-
I don't know if they sell the "gold" in their bargain boxes.
I go right to two stores where they have the "factory cut-offs".End rolls from the furniture companies.

dubdrvrkev

I got a short gold roll in the last end roll bargain box I got. But I think its pretty hit or miss if you'll get any.
The last one I got was the med/fine box, which was advertised 120-320 IIRC, unfortunately I only got 120 and 150. I wont have to buy those grits for years now.

Daniel

Will be going to Klingspore when I run out. until then it is the paper backed stuff from Home Depot. I do finish with MM.

Rudy Vey

3M Sandblaster (400 grit), this good quality and I buy it whenever I find a sale (HD, Lowes, Aco). Rarely use coarser than 400 grit.
After the 400 I go through all MM grits.

Thumbs

Couldn't vote!
I use some sanding pads I found at Lowes. The pads are about 3x5 inches with a foam backing about 1/8 inch thick. I think they are made by 3M. They come in 120, 240, and 320 grit. They last very nearly as well as Micro Mesh with a little care. I've even rinsed these out as well when they loaded up so much that I thought they were done for! I cut them in strips like the Micro mesh. I just started on my third set of these. I'm ready to start my third set of MicroMesh. That translates to about 30 Corian pens and about 20 wood with a couple odd key rings, letter openers and whistles thrown in. It lasts much better than sand paper for me. I found it in the painting supplies section.

BigRob777

What I use for turning (haven't done a pen yet) isn't on your list. I use abrasive sponges, from HF, along with paper backed sand paper. I want to get some micro-mesh too, though I don't know much about it. When I turn my first pen, I may not be using the sponges, though. I think they would wear out the bushings. Though by the look of some of the turnings I've done in the past, you'd think I sand blasted them with glass beads.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom