Sandpaper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred in NC

I am curious about sandpaper usage, especially in the 220 up range (not including micromesh, of course).

1. What kind of sandapaper do you use for the different grits.

2. How and what size do you cut to sand the pens. Do you cut it ahead of time.

3. How do you keep the different grits organized.

4. Do you use sanding sponges and other abrasives.

Thanks !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

I mainly use 3M sandpaper (the yellow stuff, to be had also at HD or Lowes), I got a deal some time ago at ACO hardware, they were selling the pack for less than two bucks and I bought all the 400 grit they had. There are four sheets in a pack.
Well, this said, I mainly start sanding with the 400 grit, if needed I go down to 320 (very rarely I used something under 320 grit). I cut the whole sheet in quarters and then fold them twice, so my paper stack is about an inch or so wide. Normally, I do two pens with one side of the stack, depending on the wood, of course. I get about 6 pens out of a quarter sheet. The paper is cut ahead of time, I normally cut a pack or two at a time, the two grits, i.e. 400 and 320 are always at the same spot next to my lathe. After the 400 I go through all grits of MM. These are the only abrasives I use (well on plastics I use Novus or automotive rubbing compound as final steps).

Rudy

darbytee

I live in Raleigh and have a Klingspor store just a few minutes from the house, so I use their wet/dry sandpaper in grits from 220 to 2000. I cut full sheets into strips that are about 1" x 2" and make them one use strips. I will start between 220 and 320 depending on the type of wood and how cleanly I'm using my skew that day. I also have MicroMesh, but usually use EEE wax instead. I cut it ahead of time and keep it in an organizer that I built in my shop.

G

Klinspor,Yellow cloth.220-400
400-600 wet dry
MM 1-9(I number them that way,write in magic marker on the back.that way I don't get confused.
Absolutely no organization what-so -ever except for wet dry.
I cut them into 3/4x 2" strips and clip them with mini spring clamps.
They also get labled when cut.
I file the used pieces of sandpaper in the dust collector wich has an intake directly behind the lathe bed.
Since I use the wet-dry with BLO I keep a 3lb coffee can half full of water next to the lathe.
Anything that has been in contact with BLO gets put in there.

Daniel

I use 3x paper in 150-400 grit and also have some other brand in 600.
I also use Micro Mesh.
I go through about twice as much 400 grit as any other.
I keep it all in a holder I built from scrap cedar. it hangs just above my lathe. I cut the paper to about 1x2 pieces. each piece is labled on the back for when they are getting tossed around the shop. havn't ran out of paper since I got signed up for kilingspore. will have to update when I order from them.

its_virgil

I use Norton paper. I've tried most all of them and I think Notron is the best. i use 220 to 600. Here is what I do...on the back of each sheet I mark a line along the edge lenghtwise with a sharpie. One line on the 220, 2 lines on the 320, 3 lines on the 400, and 4 lines on the 600. Then I cut 1" strips going the other way. As the strips get mixed up I can tell, 1 mark first, 2 marks next, etc. Hope this makes sense. It is a hassel to keep them separated since the grit numbers are not on the back as often as we need. The lines have worked for me. I bought a cheap paper cutter and use that to cut my strips. I but it at one of the home centers. Tried klingspore and wasn't impressed enough to order any. I really like the Norton yellow paper. Just my thoughts.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Scott

I use Klingspor yellow cloth-backed paper up to about 280. 320, 400 and 600 I use Finkat paper from Craft Supplies. Then I use Micro Mesh beyond there.

I tear the paper up into strips about 1 1/2" by about 4". I mark the grit on the back of each strip. Then I just stack them up by grit to store them.

Scott.

Fred in NC

Thank you for all the replies!

As for the cut pieces, I have been making them about 3/4 x 4-1/2, so I can hold it by the ends. I use lines to mark the grits on the back.

Again, I appreciate the time you have taken to reply to my post.

woodspinner

As I als do large work I purchase Klingspore J series rolls. It is wet or dry with a cloth back. It will tear both directions cleanly and can be folded to a nice flat line. After folding it can be opened back up and there is no break in the surface. I buy the 50 yd. x 3" and these will last most of a season.
I just lay the rolls on a shelf in order of grit.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom