Sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rogersab1223

Hey everyone -

I noticed in the 5 part video about the CA finish that he sands only while the lathe is spinning. In my experience, doing this puts radial lines on the wood beneath the CA. Am I missing something. Do you shut the lathe of and do "with the grain" sanding?

Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I ALWAYS sand with the grain with the lathe off before going to the next step. I do this with all materials, wood, acrylics, CA etc.

Hubert H

I sand to 1200 grit and if you don't put a lot of pressure on the grits (starting with 180) while going from one to the other (I use 6 different ones) you have a nice turning. Having said that I do sand with the grain with the lathe off. Doesn't take long and with some woods I believe it makes a difference. HWH

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I do 90% of my turning between centers without bushings. It takes longer because you have to keep measuring but I feel I get a better fit. All my sanding and finishing is done the same way, between centers and no bushings.

BSea

I turn between centers too, but with bushings. However, all sanding and finishing is done without bushings. I have a few sets of the delrin bushings for finishing, but I don't use them for wood. I feel the CA penetrates the ends better without bushings. And without bushings, you don't have the problem of contaminating the blanks.

Top Bottom