Sanding Marks From Brass Tube ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgraytn

I turned 3 different acrylic Sierra blanks yesterday to find that when I finished, the sanding marks where I sanded the brass tube and epoxed it to the blank were visible through the blank. Has anyone ever tried to epoxy the tubes in without sanding them first? Will they hold that way? Any suggestions?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I did the same thing last week but with paint to colour the tubes first and then used epoxy and the tubes spun in the blank. That is the first time I have never sanded so will not be doing that again.

Lin.

Mac

I use testors model paint, now, to paint all of mine. Do not use a (sharpie) cause I tried this also , it bleeds when the glue hits it.
I think that ,on blanks that are pressed on both ends ,that you can get by, not sanding. I had the same thing happen ,that you discrided, I thought the blank was dark enough to hide my tube it was not. Now its in my learning pile. Until I need another kit then its back apart. Another thing on painting you can use different colors to change the blanks color, lighter - darker - richer. For example I had a red blank and painted the inside black it turned a deep rich red. You can paint an orange blank red and get a deep orange, as some of the bought oranges are yellow orange.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I usually don't sand the tubes. I'll just wipe any oil off with alcohol before using CA or epoxy.
I'd suggest painting the inside of the blanks if your working with a material you will see thru.
Dave

tgraytn

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I cleaned the tubes with denatured alcohol tonight prior to epoxying them in the blanks. I am going to let them set for 24 hours prior to milling and turning.

Top Bottom