Sanding dark and lighter woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

INSierra

I was sanding down an African Blackwood pen that I had put in lighter colored segments at angles. How do you guys reduce the amount of dark sand dust from embedding in the lighter colored wood? I wiped with mineral spirits , brushed with a tooth brush, and even tried a small sewing needle. It does not look terrible and most people would think it was just the grain of the lighter wood. If the segments were perpindicular to the Blackwood I could just sand those individually, but being at the angle makes that difficult. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Not sure what all of the others use. For me, I use some kind of sanding sealer between sandpaper grits. I'm just finishing a can of Myland's Cellulose sanding sealer but other brands are available. Thin CA works nicely as well and I use it often. I like thin CA because of its quick drying time. Be sure to clean after sanding grits and before the next sealer application.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I was sanding down an African Blackwood pen that I had put in lighter colored segments at angles. How do you guys reduce the amount of dark sand dust from embedding in the lighter colored wood? I wiped with mineral spirits , brushed with a tooth brush, and even tried a small sewing needle. It does not look terrible and most people would think it was just the grain of the lighter wood. If the segments were perpindicular to the Blackwood I could just sand those individually, but being at the angle makes that difficult. Thanks in advance.

Brian

plantman

Brian; Use a thin coat of CA or sanding sealer to close the open pores of the wood befor sanding. Now that you have spread the blackwood dust into your lighter wood, I find the best way to lighten the inlays would be to take a fine metal or diamond file and and file the light wood only with the lathe stopped. When you get it back to the color you want, use a tac rag or air hose to remove the dust, and seal. As Don says above, seal and dust between grits !! Jim S

Last edited:

INSierra

Don,

I use mylands sanding sealer also. I never tried between grits though. I normally wipe the blank down between grits with mineral spirits. It seems like the Blackwood dust is so fine it's just very difficult to get it out.

plantman

Don,

I use mylands sanding sealer also. I never tried between grits though. I normally wipe the blank down between grits with mineral spirits. It seems like the Blackwood dust is so fine it's just very difficult to get it out.

Brian; Sanding Sealer is not only made to seal the open pores, controll color grain changes when stain is applied, but also to be removed with the least amount of effort. I would try the thin CA. It will soak into the pores to seal them and not be quickly removed from them. Jim S

Katya

I just finished a Jr. Statesman with desert ironwood and had the same issues.. I used a combination of both methods. I kept the blanks very clean, used CA multiple times as I turned, and turned until I hit the dimensions- then used CA again and did as little sanding as possible. Also used CA between grits if needed. I found it a rather nit-picky process (and I didn't even turn anything else in the shop while the CA was drying, either so I wouldn't have dust in the finish) but it was worth the extra effort.

Top Bottom