Same kit, different plating ... refills don't fit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

OK, this will take some explaining so ...sorry.

I have made several Sierra click pens, all from the same supplier. The platings are...1) Black Ti/Gold Ti, and 2) Black Ti/Plat.

So today I needed to install an 'upgrade' refill.... after a trip to Staples I came home with several refills in extra fine, fine, medium.

On fitting these refills I found they don't fit the Black Ti/Plat Sierra. The cartridge does not fit into the 'nib' section. Now, according to the instructions on the vendors website that refill will fit.
So... I tried a different pen, this time a Black Ti/Gold Ti. IT FITS PERFECTLY.

OK.... weirdness. I tried a different Bk Ti/Plat .... No fit.

My only conclusion is..... The Plat nib is smaller internally than the Gold Ti nib. I'm tempted to run a drill part way into the offending part but this is a custom order due for delivery tomorrow.... so I won't mess with it.

Any comments questions (relevent to the issue) welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

I just did some investigating with a punch. This punch fits all the way through the Black TI portion on the Bl Ti/ Gold Ti front section,.... BUT.....

Does NOT go through the Black Ti portion of the Bl Ti/Plat front section.... on all 3 pens of that plating combination.

Last edited:

Xander

It's not plating thickness, there is a HUGE size difference.

Seems like the Black Ti/Plat have missed a drilling operation

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It's not plating thickness, there is a HUGE size difference.

Seems like the Black Ti/Plat have missed a drilling operation

That is not beyond the rhelm of possibility. Usually the parts are prepared then sent for plating. It is entirely possible that the preparation for plating was done at a different time (possibly even at a different location) for each finish. I have run into that problem as well - some kits would not accept a Schmidt refill while the provided refills worked just fine.

BSea

I've had to drill out a couple of nibs to make a refill work. It seems I've read where others do this as a precaution for their customers. I don't remember the bit size I used. I just got the smallest one that didn't go all the way through.

Xander

ahhh, so this is a known issue. Good to hear I am not imagining things.
As for drilling, it's going to take a 1/4" or slightly larger, just have to be carefull not to break out the side.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As for drilling, it's going to take a 1/4" or slightly larger, just have to be carefull not to break out the side.

If you need a quarter inch bit, you are NOT describing the known issue in the nib.

IT requires a 1/10" bit

Xander

OK. Seems like we may need further explanation and details of this problem. A picture is worth 1000 words so let me see what I can do.

In the meantime..... I'm taking about a Sierra click pen. The 'front section' is comprised of 2 parts. The 'nib' (in this case Platinum), and the piece the 'body' screws to (in this case Black Ti).
The issue is, the cartridge does not go through the piece that the body screws to. It does on the other plating (Black Ti/Gold Ti). I can SEE there is a major difference in the inside diameter of the 2 platings (but it is always the Black Ti piece that is different. The actual 'nib' (Platinum or Gold Ti seems to be OK)

I'll see if I can get pictures or a diagram.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Now I understand what you are describing and it is NOT a known problem. (Definitely NOT saying you are wrong----just you are FIRST!! that I know of)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Dont use a 1/4 drill bit use a "C" drill bit instead. It is .242 which will clear your refill.

Xander

The punch is 17/64 .. next size bigger than 1/4.

In the first pic it is inserted 1-1/8", only part way through the black Ti section (the problem)

The second pic it goes in 1-3/4, which is all the way through the Black Ti section

Now, imagine the punch is an ink cartridge and you understand the issue.
Don't think I need to drill out to that large a dia, but certainly bigger than it is now.

Sorry about the links but for some reason photos won't upload.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc392/Xanderbear1/P6210181.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc392/Xanderbear1/P6210178.jpg

Last edited:

sbell111

If it's just a plating issue, do not drill under power. Run the chucked bit through the item by hand just to clear out the offending plating inside the part.

Russianwolf

I've never done a click, but on the twist sierras the black ti portion is only a mm or so thick and is press fit on the Gold ti/platinum portions (there's two parts in there) some which a way.

I still think its a difference in the plating between the platinum and gold ti. And agree, run a drill through it by hand. I'd use my hand drill for this since I can control the speed and set the torque very low.

Xander

It's NOT a plating issue. I can look inside the parts and SEE a definite step in the offending part. Looks like they used the wrong drill or did not drill at all.
On the good part a 17/64" punch will go through. (Black Ti/Gold Ti)
On the BAD part a 15/64" punch goes through. (Black Ti/Platinum)
That is a difference of 1/32", not much (huge by pen making standards) but enough to prevent a refill from fitting.

Anyway, later today I'm going to try drilling this out.

Stay tuned.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Xander,
If the pen is from us, please return it and I will replace it.

Manufacturers can't fix problems they don't know about.

Thanks,

Ed

Top Bottom