Same Blank - Two Different Effects

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

A few days ago, I posted an Aero kit with a lavender matrix blank. I painted the tube with black acrylic. Last night I made some Tritons, and used the same lavender matrix blank on the Triton. This time I reverse painted the blank with black acrylic, instead of painting the tube as I did on the Aero.

I was amazed at how different the two pens turned out (no wise cracks about one being an Aero and the other a Triton:roll eyes:). The one with the reverse painting looks black with lavender highlights, while the tube painted one looks lavender with black highlights. This is only the second pen that I reverse painted the blank instead of the tube. Is this the kind of result you normally get with translucent blanks?

I reposted the Aero pen so you can see the two side by side (I hope I didn't violate any forum rules by doing that.).

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Triton Lavender Matrix.JPG
    Triton Lavender Matrix.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 313
  • Aero Lavender Matrix.JPG
    Aero Lavender Matrix.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Triton Lavender Matrix Open.JPG
    Triton Lavender Matrix Open.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 265

bobleibo

A few days ago, I posted an Aero kit with a lavender matrix blank. I painted the tube with black acrylic. Last night I made some Tritons, and used the same lavender matrix blank on the Triton. This time I reverse painted the blank with black acrylic, instead of painting the tube as I did on the Aero.

I was amazed at how different the two pens turned out (no wise cracks about one being an Aero and the other a Triton:roll eyes:). The one with the reverse painting looks black with lavender highlights, while the tube painted one looks lavender with black highlights. This is only the second pen that I reverse painted the blank instead of the tube. Is this the kind of result you normally get with translucent blanks?

I reposted the Aero pen so you can see the two side by side (I hope I didn't violate any forum rules by doing that.).

C & C welcome.

John
I think the difference you are seeing is caused by the paint being between the tube and the glue on one - thus you see the glue before the paint - and between the glue and the blank on the other - thus you see the paint first. I always paint the inside of the blank.
Cheers
Bob

Last edited:

elkhorn

Thanks, Bob. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I may have to try reverse painting more blanks.

Top Bottom