Sailor King of Pens Clone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

This was a prototype for a pen I did in Cumberland for a customer. He wanted a pen that matched the dimensions of the Sailor King of Pens. I chose cracked ice acrylic for this prototype.

The dimensions:
  • Length capped - 6"
  • Length uncapped -5 1/8"
  • Length posted - 6 1/2"
  • Barrel diameter - 9/16"
  • Cap diameter - 5/8"
  • Weight - 27 grams

The most difficult part was the cap/finial/clip joint. On the Sailor, that joint is at a point where the diameter is just 10 mm.

The polished nib is a #6 Bock.

Thread
section/barrel - M10 x 1
barrel/cap M14 x .8
cap/finial 1/4 x 32

Attachments

• Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 041 (640x327).jpg
    Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 041 (640x327).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 037 (640x351).jpg
    Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 037 (640x351).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 202
  • Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 036 (521x640).jpg
    Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 036 (521x640).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 035 (640x441).jpg
    Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 035 (640x441).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 028 (640x429).jpg
    Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 028 (640x429).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 024 (640x453).jpg
    Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 024 (640x453).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 032 (640x429).jpg
    Cocobolo Virage, Crushed Shell Custom 032 (640x429).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrburls

Awesome work Robert. I really like the looks of this pen. Looks like the polished Bock nibs are the way to go, just completes the pen.

Keith "mrburls"

Brooks803

Copycat! :tongue:

I love it! I'm really glad you posted this when you did. I'd been so curious what the one I did might look like with that nib as well as with a matching section.

Any chance of seeing a pic of the original pen you've designed this after?

robutacion

This was a prototype for a pen I did in Cumberland for a customer. He wanted a pen that matched the dimensions of the Sailor King of Pens. I chose cracked ice acrylic for this prototype.

The dimensions:
  • Length capped - 6"
  • Length posted - 6 1/2"
  • Cap diameter - 5/8"
  • Weight - 27 grams

The most difficult part was the cap/finial/clip joint. On the Sailor, that joint is at a point where the diameter is just 10 mm.

Thread
section/barrel - M10 x 1
barrel/cap M14 x .8
cap/finial 1/4 x 32

Great pen, mate...!

Is this the same type blank as I seen yesterday, (I think) from someone else here...???

The other one looked more "pearly" but, they both look stunning and I just can't remember if these are some of the Italian blanks that are now available or, something else...???

Cheers
George

wizard

Robert, Congratulations, you NAILED that one...beautiful...I have a Sailor Black Ebonite King of Pens and tried to make one that resembles it..but you really nailed it with the finial, clip, contour, proportions etc!! You are a superb pen maker!! Now I've got to try and catch up with you. Regards, Doc:)

Robert111

Thanks to all who commented. Really appreciate your support!

I love it! I'm really glad you posted this when you did. I'd been so curious what the one I did might look like with that nib as well as with a matching section.

Yep, see attached photo at bottom. I chuckled when I saw your cracked ice posting--bet we got them from the same nice people at Exotic Blanks. Thanks, Jonathan!

The dimensions:
  • Length capped - 6"
  • Length posted - 6 1/2"
  • Cap diameter - 5/8"
  • Weight - 27 grams

Thread
section/barrel - M10 x 1
barrel/cap M14 x .8
cap/finial 1/4 x 32

Great pen, mate...!

Is this the same type blank as I seen yesterday, (I think) from someone else here...???

The other one looked more "pearly" but, they both look stunning and I just can't remember if these are some of the Italian blanks that are now available or, something else...???

Cheers
George

Thanks, George! Yes, Jonathan's (Brooks803) stunning pen was cracked ice too. I believe it is Italian, as you thought.

Robert, Congratulations, you NAILED that one...beautiful...I have a Sailor Black Ebonite King of Pens and tried to make one that resembles it..but you really nailed it with the finial, clip, contour, proportions etc!! You are a superb pen maker!! Now I've got to try and catch up with you. Regards, Doc:)

Thanks very much, Doc! And if you think YOU have to catch up with ANYONE, you've too many birthdays! :biggrin:

Attachments

• NewKingofPencapped.jpg
    NewKingofPencapped.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 130

Brooks803

Thanks to all who commented. Really appreciate your support!

Yep, see attached photo at bottom. I chuckled when I saw your cracked ice posting--bet we got them from the same nice people at Exotic Blanks. Thanks, Jonathan!

Thanks for the pic Robert. Now that I see the original I can definitely say you nailed it! Had I known you were about to post this I probably would have waited to post mine...yours is so much nicer!

Top Bottom