Safety

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcraigg

Thought I might share this i have never seen it talked about. This morning I reached over a turning lathe.I know better,but i wasn't THINKING. The lathe was running at the fastest speed, I was also wearing a long sleve shirt with sleeves rolled up. As you can probaly guess i got caught up in lathe.I mention this so maybe someone else might think before they do the same thing.I am aware of moving machinery all the time it's how i make a living.I just didnt think. To make a long story short my left arm is shoe leather black
I have a big tatto and you can't even see it The doctor said i was lucky i didn't break my arm,but my arm hit the mandrel so hard it is bent in at least a 45 degree angle That hit me in the chest a few times 1 barrel and 2 bushing are somewhere and 1 barrel is bent on mandrel wood came off and a big splinter was deep in my left cheek
Lucky i was wearing my safety glasses.I just put this up so maybe someone will read this and not do the same thing i did,hopefully a New Member or just a reminder

Thanks Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great, but painful lesson, Jeff! Hang the mangled mandrel on the wall as a reminder. Post a picture here too!

Rudy Vey

Short sleeves is rule #1 for me when turning. Once the spinning blanks caught the old undershirt I was using for polishing, since then I know how strong even a mini lathe can be.

53Jim

That could have had a very bad outcome. Glad to hear that you were not seriously injured. The mandrel could have not only hit you in the chest, it could have inserted itself in your chest. In my opinion, you are a very lucky man. I am not perfect, (I've posted a few of my stupid MISTAKES over the past few months) but it's always good to hear that other people have these accidents too.
Once again, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Dario

Glad you are okay...it could have been worse.

We all tend to forget, become relaxed, complacent or even cocky sometimes. Thank you for the reminder.

I had a close call too...and it was with a chainsaw!!! [:0][xx(]

Probie

In mid Sept. I took off my index finger at the table saw, the middle finger required surgery as well. Doc says that with therapy, I'll be at 100 percent usage/ mobility. It can happen at any tool in the shop. Like you, I knew better, It was just an accident.

William Young

jeff.
so glad you did not get hurt any worse than you did. take care.
you should post a picture of it to make others aware of what can happen .
below is a picture of my arm after the steel plate was screwed onto the broken bone with 6 screws and the 14 staples and 15 stitches were removed, that was a couple weeks ago and it is the reason that i am typing lower case with one finger.
we will not go into the details of my lathe accident here because it was well documented on my own woodworking forums site but i am just posting it here in hopes that both yours and my own lathe accidents may help others to be more aware of what can happen in a split second
w.y.

brokenarm.jpg

TomServo

I always keep in mind the definition of "1 horsepower" - the power required to lift 33000 pounds 1 foot in 1 minute. So even 1/2 or 1/4 HP is enough power to do some serious damage, especially with inertia behind it. Hope you get better soon! I'd like to see a pic of the mandrel.. Good education = priceless

Rifleman1776

Sorry to hear of the accident. [:(] Glad it wasn't worse. Yes, any life pursuit has it's risks. The human mind is not perfect. Strict adherence to routine is a way to avoid (most) accidents. I have been considering getting foot switches for my lathe and drill press. This might be the lesson needed to do that. I'll get the kind that require pressure to keep the machine running.

dubdrvrkev

Good to hear your okay.
When I had my bandsaw mishap I left the drops of blood on the floor as a reminder to not do the things that I know I shouldn't be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom