Safety, safety, safety....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Timeless Turnings

Welp-- Started turning a miniture drumset today, just to see if I could. Was putting another log on the machine (5" in diameter, about 12" long, partially dry). Was worried about having to use my 'V' toolrest because I broke the 6" regular Jet one earlier. Was trying to figure out how to set the rest, and turned on the lathe. I apparently forgot to turn down the VS from the piece I had just finished finishing.... Needless to say, off came the log sqaure between the eyes. Looks like I have another broken nose to go with all those karate breaks. One more little crook to add some character... Moral of the story: ALWAYS WEAR THE %^&#$&@ FACESHIELD STUPID!!!
bang%20head.gif
bang%20head.gif
bang%20head.gif
bang%20head.gif
bang%20head.gif
embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
slap.gif
slap.gif
slap.gif
shake%20head.gif
shake%20head.gif
shake%20head.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing your story. Hearing about real incidents others have experienced often helps keep people think twice before the do something. While I'm sorry that you were injured, I'm glad it wasn't more serious. Getting hit between the eyes with a log coming off of a lathe could easily have caused serious injury or even death. I hope that you're feeling better soon and that you become a regular contributor here on IAP.

Jim Smith

Bree

Great first post. It takes a strong person to put out a strong message like that from your own experience. Great job sharing your story!
:wink::wink::wink:

randyrls

Very nice pens! I like the way they are displayed, not too crowded.
Oh; One tip. If your face shield gets dusty, wipe it with a Bounce sheet or other fabric softener sheet. Keeps the dust off and smells good too!

babyblues

Dang!!! I had a bowl come out of my chuck once and bounce right off the side of my face. Came at me so fast, I didn't know what happened until after it hit me. Left a nice little knot on my head. That's when I learned it's better to start on the outside edge and then cut in toward the center. :biggrin: Seriously though, if that had hit me a couple inches over, it would have hit me right in the temple. That could have been bad. You can't react fast enough to get out of the way if something comes off the lathe at your head.

Top Bottom