rust

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

any tips to get heavy rust off a jointer top? i got that one for $35, best buy of my life, and it's got a few spots that are pretty rusty. most of it came up with scotchbrite and spirits but there are a few spots that aren't budging. am i going to have to sand those out or what's the best way to deal with em (without making a bigger electrolysis tank)?

thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

yeah evap-o-rust.
my bandsaw before:

tn_band%20saw%20table.jpg

after letting it soak overnight in evap-o-rust:

tn_SNC11137.jpg

I heard they had a jell type for vertical surfaces. that might be your best bet since enough to soak a jointer top might be a couple of gallons.

ahoiberg

yeah, i was hoping not to have to soak the thing. anyone succesfully sanded rust off a top? i know it's a way to go, but don't know which grit to start with, etc.

thanks.

LEAP

I cleaned up a tablesaw top a while back that had rusted up after it was left out in a rain storm. Used the random orbital sander with the green scotchbrite pads and wd40 as a lubricant. It ate up the pads pretty quick so rather than buying more stick on ones I went to the hardware store and bought some large rectangular pads and just set the sander on top of them they stuck good enough to do the job. It worked pretty well and the top was as good as new when finished.

ahoiberg

i've used the scotchbrite so far and got most of the surface rust off, i'm just working on the big time spots. i used a razor blade to get some of the built up stuff off and then hit it with the scotchbrite again... it's working pretty well. i've just got some time to invest in it. from what i've researched, a bit of sanding and perhaps a wire wheel should get the rest of it off. then i get to strip/wire wheel off the rest of the paint from it and make it look purdy again.

i may try one of the evaporust type products and see if that helps.

Fred

I always use WD-40 and a quality metal sandpaper on my orbital sander and let the machine do the work for you. No problems and if I go through several different grits of paper I can get quit a shine on my metal surfaces. Clean up after sanding with plenty of mineral spirits. I always finish the job with Johnson's paste wax to protect the bare metal surfaces. Be sure to oil any part that can't be waxed ....

randyrls

Originally posted by ahoiberg

any tips to get heavy rust off a jointer top? i got that one for $35, best buy of my life, and it's got a few spots that are pretty rusty. most of it came up with scotchbrite and spirits but there are a few spots that aren't budging. am i going to have to sand those out or what's the best way to deal with em (without making a bigger electrolysis tank)?

thanks.

The easiest way is Naval Jelly. This doesn't remove metal, but converts the rust back into metal. I used it after I accidentally left an outside door open to my shop during a rainstorm. Everything had rust on it :(

Afterwards, treat the table with an inhibitor to prevent future rusting.

From my years as a marine mechanic, I can tell you that Tri-Flow will remove rust more successfully than WD40, and will leave a light protective coating, as well. WD40 tends to dry out quickly, and leaves a coat that appears to be light rust, though it isn't. The Tri-Flow actually bubbles when sprayed on marine-type corrosion (as does Coke or Pepsi, which you may also want to try!) When you have the bulk of the rust conquered, go over the surface with crocus cloth, block-sanding the entire surface. Then, a light coating of wax, and you're all set.

Top Bottom