Runner height for sleds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwilson

I have just gotten a new table saw and want to make some cutting sleds. I have a large piece of white cutting board and would like to know about runner height. Should the sled bottom touch the saw table or should the runners raise it above the table (Only the runners touching in the guides)
Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigE

Sled bottom definitely needs to touch the table. In fact, your runners should be slightly shorter than the slots.

flyitfast

I'm glad this question was asked - I had been wondering the same thing. I have noticed in tutorials that those building sleds put a washer in the slot before positioning the runner to keep the runners elevated and to bring them up to level with the saw table top.
Thanks to all for the help.
gordon

monophoto

I have noticed in tutorials that those building sleds put a washer in the slot before positioning the runner to keep the runners elevated and to bring them up to level with the saw table top.

I've heard the rule expressed in a slightly different way - the runner should be 1/16" thinner than the depth of the slots. Bottom line is the same, however - the sled should be fully supported by table, wlth the runners sliding the the grooves.

Top Bottom