Rules .... ?? Do we have some ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

This is not exactly "Off-topic, general chat." as the Forum heading says.

In fact, it's a really important part of being here. . I'm sure it is !

But, I've looked and looked, and now my eyes aren't working anymore ...

I was told that "The Rules" forbid posting in a thread that was started more than 30 days ago. In fact, my post was deleted after I had worked for more than an hour composing and editting ! Just like that ! .... GONE !! . Right in the middle of my final edit !

And the post ahead of mine got deleted too ! . Oh ... my !!

I'll have to find another way to make my point. I did have a point ... but I'm so upset now I forget what it was ! . Oh ... dear !!

Did YOU know that you're not allowed to post in a thread that is more than 30 days old ?

I can't find "The Rules" !! . HELP !!

Please, would someone kindly point me to "The Rules".

Jeez .... I must have skipped the grade that was taught in .... !

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Rules

rules said:
Rules:

Review recent experiences; within 30 days.
Focus! Do not mention competing vendors in any thread.
Threads are subject to closure after one week.
Be ethical and honest. Add a disclaimer if you know you should. (Disclaimers might include: "My son owns the company", or "I sell blanks to the company", or "I got my stuff for free in exchange for this review." This lets readers judge the value and credibility of your post.

That's why the posts were deleted. I knew the necro-posting wasn't allowed. :) Rather than respond to someone spamming, I think we're supposed to just report the offending post and move on. I had 3 posts deleted last night, and don't mind a bit.

magpens

Hey ! . But wait a minute ! . Or ... 'Arf a mo' ! ... as the Ozzies say !!

Rule: "Review recent experiences; within 30 days."

That rule says that you should not write a cheer or a jeer that applies to "an experience" that YOU had with a vendor more than 30 days ago.

The rule doesn't say that you can't post in a thread that is more than 30 days old.

Or, it doesn't say that you can't comment about a post in a thread that was started more than 30 days ago.

There must be millions of posts made in threads that were started more than 30 days previously.

I don't think there is any such thing as "necro-posting", based on my experience here. I see posts in threads that were started years ago.

Surely it is valid to comment about another members post at any time until the thread is closed ... and even then, you could start a new thread with reference to the "old" one.

Anyway ... not a big deal ... you don't mind a bit ... I don't mind either.
I'm just a stickler for detail .... that's why my pens are perfect !! :biggrin:

Rules

rules said:
Rules:

Review recent experiences; within 30 days.
Focus! Do not mention competing vendors in any thread.
Threads are subject to closure after one week.
Be ethical and honest. Add a disclaimer if you know you should. (Disclaimers might include: "My son owns the company", or "I sell blanks to the company", or "I got my stuff for free in exchange for this review." This lets readers judge the value and credibility of your post.

That's why the posts were deleted. I knew the necro-posting wasn't allowed. :) Rather than respond to someone spamming, I think we're supposed to just report the offending post and move on. I had 3 posts deleted last night, and don't mind a bit.

magpens

me too, I replied and asked and got a very good answer. before you get too mad, ask him why.

Curt

Haha ... I'm not mad ... just puzzled. (see my reply here to Skie) ... do I sound mad ? . I replied also like you did but I didn't get an answer. . Maybe it's my tone of voice :biggrin: !

Can you tell me the answer you got to your reply ? Please ... in PM .

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If you notice, the only posts deleted were in the Cheers and Jeers forum, nothing else. The problem is one member had a beef with PSI and was pulling up threads from 2013 to add to them. This made those threads come to the top of the forum and did not fit the scope of the Cheers and Jeers forum. Everything after that post was also deleted, otherwise, that thread would have stayed at the top even without the new post to the very old threads.

In the future, if you have an issue with something done via moderation, a better course would be to contact the moderator that took action and ask for an explanation rather than question it in the open forum from folks who had nothing to do with the course of action.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I replied also like you did but I didn't get an answer. . Maybe it's my tone of voice :biggrin: !

Just to clear my name on this since I was the moderator in question...the PM mentioned above was a comment and specifically said at the end "No reply necessary". That is why I did not reply!

CREID

You do a wonderful job Curtis.
Why does it sound like I am talking to myself.:rolleyes:
Seriously, with all the crap we throw around here, I wonder sometimes why you don't just toss us all. Now please don't reply back that you think about it all the time.

Curt

magpens

Just to clear my name on this since I was the moderator in question...the PM mentioned above was a comment and specifically said at the end "No reply necessary". That is why I did not reply!

You're absolutely right, Curtis. I apologize. . Actually I did not know that I could reply to a moderator's deletion (except via PM) ... The notificatioin of deletion seemed totally impersonal ... (i.e. without your name as sender when I clicked on Reply) when I did try the usual form of reply.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I replied also like you did but I didn't get an answer. . Maybe it's my tone of voice :biggrin: !

Hmmmm.....and it wasn't even me (who will argue with a fence post) who complained even though one of the deleted posts was mine....

Skie_M

You're absolutely right, Curtis. I apologize. . Actually I did not know that I could reply to a moderator's deletion (except via PM) ... The notificatioin of deletion seemed totally impersonal ... (i.e. without your name as sender when I clicked on Reply) when I did try the usual form of reply.

Wierd .... I had no problem at all replying immediately to him when I got the post deletion message. All I did was thank him for cleaning up that mess ... :)

CREID

Yea, I got to him right away and he responded right away. Man, I was scared, I thought the pen gods had got me. Now all my hair is grey.

Curt

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The notificatioin of deletion seemed totally impersonal ... (i.e. without your name as sender when I clicked on Reply) when I did try the usual form of reply.

Yes, they are impersonal since they are generated by the software. When something is deleted, there is a place for us to write a reason. That reason is then incorporated into the PM that is sent so you have an idea why it was deleted. Be thankful that Jeff cares enough to have this feature. This is not a standard feature of the software but one I encouraged Jeff to implement a number of years ago. On other forums that don't have this feature, your post just goes poof and you are not notified in any way! Believe me, I belong to a bunch of different forum on other topics and have had my share of posts deleted and never got a reason. Having a post deleted never bothers me, though. Just part of being on a forum. Oh yeah, and yes, I have been banned from a forum once too! I crawled back to the owner and was reinstated though!

magpens

Curtis,

Thank you for your comments above. Although I don't have a lot of experience, in general I believe we have a darn good forum in terms of features, functionality and content ... largely thanks to Jeff and you moderators ... as well as the high level of competence of many of the members.

Although I have been a member for 5 years, it is only in the last few months that I have been "active" and I have been really enjoying the camaraderie and the wealth of freely-shared information. I am gradually getting used to "things" and the features and "personality" of this environment.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Top Bottom