Rough form but simple enough.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

I recently saw a post from a new turner wanting to turn what my dad would simply call a beater. lol I had been gonna make myself one but just had never got around to it! A fellow coffee drinker at the old geezer coffee drinking club, recently gave me a rough piece of ash so I decided that was close enough to the round tuit. It looks a little cumbersome but it fits my hand and has a nice heft to it. I applied a light coat of BLO and
am waiting on the opportunity to beat on something with it.

Attachments

• DSC01362.JPG
    DSC01362.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01363.JPG
    DSC01363.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

one of the first turning projects I made. I call it "the bonker"

I didn't make a drawing...just kept turning, stopped the lathe, and grabbed the handle until it felt right.

it's taken quite a beating over the years.

kovalcik

Definitely one of the first things I made also. I use it to seat my drive centers in to the wood along with other things that need some "gentle" persuasion. I just did it by eye and feel also.

Curly

Good "beater". If you make the next one with some taper to the head, getting larger from hand to end, you will improve its function and can properly call it a mallet. :) You'll find with a half inch diameter difference the mallet will not deflect or skip off as much when chiseling or carving because the contact face lines up with your swing.

Thanks for the additional info. !!!

Since I could not find any plans or drawings, I was just "shooting in the dark" with the design. I really did not know if it would be functional or not!Thanks for the input and suggestions. I think I will make another one tomorrow and try to incorporate your ideas.

Good "beater". If you make the next one with some taper to the head, getting larger from hand to end, you will improve its function and can properly call it a mallet. :) You'll find with a half inch diameter difference the mallet will not deflect or skip off as much when chiseling or carving because the contact face lines up with your swing.

Top Bottom