Rotary turned pen with raised support ribbon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Studio-N

Studio-N

this is in pink ivory wood with a raised support ribbon.
It is only raised about 0.05" above the body but it gives a very nice look and tactile feel.

Attachments

• photo 4 copy.JPG
    photo 4 copy.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 214
  • photo 3 copy.JPG
    photo 3 copy.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 213
  • photo 2 copy.JPG
    photo 2 copy.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marko50

Eye popping!

Well done Nick! I haven't seen this type of work done on such a small scale as a pen tube. You're definitely on to something!

What type of laser engraver do you use and what kind of knowledge does one have to possess to operate one? Your design possibilities are limitless and the niche for custom work is virtually untapped! Go for it! Beautiful work:cool:

Studio-N

Well done Nick! I haven't seen this type of work done on such a small scale as a pen tube. You're definitely on to something!

What type of laser engraver do you use and what kind of knowledge does one have to possess to operate one? Your design possibilities are limitless and the niche for custom work is virtually untapped! Go for it! Beautiful work:cool:

well I do have a 45 watt ULS laser, but this was done on a Shark CNC with the 4th axis rotary attachment. Rotary turning is a little more difficult than traditional CNC work, because you have to convert your thinking to Radius, Diameters and Degrees. The ASPIRE software has a bit of a learning curve (and is expensive) since you have to learn to do 3d modeling. Fortunately, the company has lots of training videos on their website.

I have tried to do stuff like this on the laser, but they don't really do 3d. they use a graduated grey scale to simulate the art, but they come out much too 'bumpy' and the height is not always consistent. cheers!

Top Bottom