Rosewood what finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Just finished my first rosewood pen. in a panache kit. I believe rosewood is a oily wood like cocobolo.

would TWF be a problem with this wood ?

I would rather use TWF than lacquer ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
What I do with any rosewood such as Cocobolo, I first wipe it down with acetone. Then a few coats of plain Shellac. Not a friction finish Shellac. that will seal the wood for what ever finish you with to conclude with. Of course you could continue with the shellac, build up a good layer, then buff it smooth with some carnuba wax. and call it good.

ghostrider

Just in case you didn't know. Cocobolo is a rosewood.

I've done East Indian Rosewood with CA and it came out fine. Cocobolo seems to give me problems with CA.

I tried a Mylands sanding sealer followed with WTF, and the WTF peeled right off after a couple weeks. Next time I'll just use the WTF.

jttheclockman

Many ways to go here. I am not familar with Mylars or WTF. I am assuming it is an oil based finish???

Anyway If you are going to put any finish on rosewood do not use a shellac that has wax in it. You want a dewax shellac ( Zinzer) if you are going this route. Some people like the feel of wood and just put a couple coats of Danish oil or equivalent and then polish it. Some use CA. If using CA make sure you wipe it down with acetone and not DNA. Wait for it to dry and then seal in a couple thin coats of CA and then finish with med CA for as many coats that suits you.

Good luck.

Top Bottom