Rose gold plating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

Just wondering if any one knows if rose gold platings wear like 24k or other golds platings besides titanium. Thanks

If the saying "you get what you pay for" is true, and I usually find that to be accurate, then rose gold is at the upper end of the scale. I turned several Rose Gold Aeros from CSUSA last year and they are beautiful. The problem is that the owners are so dazzled with the appearance that they just don't use it like a daily driver, so I haven't been able to obtain truly objective feedback on wear.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
It may be a pretty finish but my experience with them has not been satisfactory.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Just wondering if any one knows if rose gold platings wear like 24k or other golds platings besides titanium. Thanks
The plating may be better now, but the only RG pen I made several years ago started tarnishing after a few months.

its_virgil

I must say I have not made or used a rose gold pen lately. Like Monty, I made a few rose gold pens when they were first introduced. Maybe the process and finish has improved.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

It may be a pretty finish but my experience with them has not been satisfactory.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

The plating may be better now, but the only RG pen I made several years ago started tarnishing after a few months.

Bean_Counter

Thanks guys.... That's what I was looking for. I just don't want something that will tarnish or wear really fast with my name on it. Exactly the reason I don't mess with any gold kits unless they are gold ti. However, I do use the bolt actions with the rose gold tip and haven't had any complaints so far. I think I might get one for the wife and have her use it as a daily driver and go from there.

Michael

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Rose gold should be about 18K gold - 75% gold and 22.5% copper 2.5% silver....25% copper is usually called Red Gold. In my thinking, the wear properties of Rose Gold plating would not be that great because neither gold nor copper has great wear qualities. With 25% copper I would also expect some tarnish - this might be helped with a clear epoxy applied over the finish, that would eventually wear off though.

It is one pretty color finish though.

Top Bottom