Rose Alabaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

broitblat

Alabaster reverse painted with a light red to give it a slight rose tint to go along with some greys that are hard to see in the picture.

Rose Alabaster.jpg

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
How was that to turn Barry? Pointers? I have lots of soapstone that I'm chomping at the bit to have a lash at!

CaptG

Very nice Barry. I have a chunk of that and one of these days I may do something with it. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

broitblat

How was that to turn Barry? Pointers? I have lots of soapstone that I'm chomping at the bit to have a lash at!

Alabaster and soapstone are pretty easy to turn with normal tools except that a) they are brittle, and b) they throw off a lot of find dust (a respirator, or at least a dust mask, is mandatory).

You can really get a good sense of how sharp your tools are, because the dust begins to fly at the slightest touch :rolleyes:.

-Barry

Craftdiggity

Jim,

Soapstone will be much easier to turn than alabaster. You need to go slow, especially when drilling to avoid cracking it up. Soapstone turns like wood, but is very dusty (don't expect shavings), so you need a respirator at all times, even when drilling.

One tip: When it is time to put the kit together, I don't press it together. It almost always cracks on the ends. What I do is file the parts down so that they slide together snugly and I use a drop of ca.

Top Bottom