Rolling Pins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

I have a piece of 12/4 Cherry straight from the lumber mill that i have had laying the shop for close to a year now and i wan to put it to use so i was wondering what i would need to do to make it into a rolling pin
If anyone has experience making rolling pins i am open to suggestions as to what i should and shouldn't do
how do i finish it etc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Most pro cooks that I have sen use a rolling pen just use a round piece of wood or stone. Very few if any use the free moving handles. Just turn it round.
Charles

corian king

Hello Ryan! I make these out of corian.If you would like to see them just go to my statistics and look up my threads you can find it there.Sorry I don't know how to place a link here.But anyway I just figure out the length I want plus the length of the handles and add about 1 1/2 inches on each end for cut off.I then just turn it dead center on the lathe leaving the pin and handles all in one piece.The few wooden ones I have done I used a food safe finish as my last coat.If I can help in anyway please feel free to contact me.
JIM

jaywood1207

I have made them with free turning handles and with the solid handles. The free turning handles take a lot longer to do. The benefits to the solid handles like the corian ones posted above are that no gunk from your baking get caught in between the handles and the pin itself. The solid handles are much easier to clean. I make mine about 2 1/2" diameter and turn the cylinder first then work on the handles. The tricky part is getting the handles the same. The overall length is about 17" which is the max on my lathe. If I could go longer I would go a bit longer. Pictures of both styles are shown below. I also did a laminated pin with solid handles but can't find a good picture of it.

Attachments

• Rolling Pin 1 (Small).jpg
    Rolling Pin 1 (Small).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Rolling Pin 2 (Small).JPG
    Rolling Pin 2 (Small).JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF5609 (Small).JPG
    DSCF5609 (Small).JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 141

Polarys425

You just cut pieces on the table saw a little larger than the size rolling pin you want to make. Glue them together, using either CA, or Duponts corian adhesive, and clamp them tightly. I usually use as many clamps as i can fit on what im gluing to reduce the possibility of visible seems.

Kev

I dont bother with the handles on any of my rolling pins, I just round over both ends and sand and oil. As for the length, I use the length of my longest tool rest as a guide there, and turn them down to the largest diameter the timber will accomodate. That is usually around 55 - 60mm.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After it is "round", move your tool rest very close to the wood and measure to make sure you are absolutely parallel to the headstock spindle and the tailstock spindle.

Then, the space between your tool rest and the wood should be the same, all along the length. When you sand, you CAN put the sandpaper on a flat board and hold it against your rolling pin. This will assure you it is flat, so if the two ends are the same diameter, you got it!!

We made them and could NOT sell them. NO ONE makes pies any more and older ladies "have a collection" of rolling pins. They DID want to buy my stand that held 8 rolling pins, though!!

FWIW

jaywood1207

After it is "round", move your tool rest very close to the wood and measure to make sure you are absolutely parallel to the headstock spindle and the tailstock spindle.

Then, the space between your tool rest and the wood should be the same, all along the length. When you sand, you CAN put the sandpaper on a flat board and hold it against your rolling pin. This will assure you it is flat, so if the two ends are the same diameter, you got it!!

We made them and could NOT sell them. NO ONE makes pies any more and older ladies "have a collection" of rolling pins. They DID want to buy my stand that held 8 rolling pins, though!!

FWIW

Ed,
Do you have a picture of your rolling pin stand?

RyanNJ

Ok I have the tool rest system from John at penturners products so I should have a 12" or so made, I am also using jet 1014 if that matters and I have the extension bed just never attached it

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ok I have the tool rest system from John at penturners products so I should have a 12" or so made, I am also using jet 1014 if that matters and I have the extension bed just never attached it

Ryan,

Use what you have---if you have to do one half at a time, that will work, too!!

Top Bottom