Rolling Pin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glen Schumann

Glen Schumann

French tapered rolling pin in Maple and Cherry. 22 inches long with 1 1/2 inch main diameter and 7/8 inch at the ends. The flat area is about 8 inches. Sanded to 600 Abranet and finished with clear Danish Oil.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Attachments

• IMGP5030 GlensWorkshop Etsy french tapered rolling pin maple cherry fb cvr.jpg
    IMGP5030 GlensWorkshop Etsy french tapered rolling pin maple cherry fb cvr.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Great looking rolling pin Glen. I like that shape, maple and cherry goes well together.

Harry ( roll out the cookie dough ) M

SDB777

Got to say, this is the first time I have ever seen these!

Where/what is the history behind these 'pins', and where did you get the idea from?

Cool segmenting too!!!

Scott (learned somethin' today) B

Glen Schumann

Got to say, this is the first time I have ever seen these!

Where/what is the history behind these 'pins', and where did you get the idea from?
Cool segmenting too!!!
Scott (learned somethin' today) B

Scott,

There is a plan for a baking set which includes a French tapered pin in a Wood Magazine. I added the segmenting. I have seen these done with Celtic knot segmenting also.

My wife has an old French rolling pin which is very plain and smaller than this one. These are easier to make IMO than those with a more traditional (for USA folks) rolling pins with handles.

Thanks for your comments. Merry Christmas.

The Penguin

I enjoy baking (especially during the holidays) and I favor a French rolling pin over a traditional one.

in fact, I used it this morning to roll out a batch of beignets for Christmas breakfast.

excellent work!

Glen Schumann

Thanks for your nice comments everyone! I appreciate the support.

A number of these (eight) were made as my woodworking Christmas gifts to daughters and wife this year. A ninth is in my Etsy shop. Learned a few lessons along the way (mostly the hard way) which I hope to remember when making more of these.

Glen Schumann

Nice rolling pin. I've always preferred the French pin to the handled ones.

Learned a few lessons along the way (mostly the hard way) which I hope to remember when making more of these.

Care to share those lessons learned?

Can I claim DAMHIKT? Just kidding.

1. The blank has to be straight and square. I started using cauls to help with the straight part after discovering a problem.
2. Finding the exact center on both ends of the blank is important.
3. I get chatter on my 1014 Jet with extension which necessitated a lot of sanding. I am considering some sort of shop made steady rest OR the lathe needs a more solid base.

Tom D

Great looking rolling pin. The only trouble with that shape is it is to easy for my wife to hold with one hand and swing. LOL✌️

Top Bottom