Rollerball skips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

I made a Jr Gent rollerball for a customer over the holidays and he called to tell me his pen "skips" when he writes. I called CSUSA and they sent a replacement out. I gave it to my customer and now he says the replacement is also "skipping." I made a Jr Statesman from the same batch of pens I bought over the holidays and this pen skips too.

Is anyone else having problems? I'm fairly new to penturning and a little nervous since I plan on selling these to resort gift stores this summer.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

UKpenmaker

I have had the odd new refill every now and again which has gotr either some dried ink or some something that protects the ball. All i have to do is to flick off whatever it is on the end with my finger-nail and it works fine. May not be this but worth a look.

Dario

If it is what Andrew described....use the pen and write on a rubber (NO not "the" rubber [:D]). Clean sole of a rubber soled shoe would work great.

toolcrazy

May be a good idea to grab some better refills and take the hit. So you can keep you customers happy.
http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=SRC888

DocStram

I'm at the point where I just stop by my local Office Depot and buy several rollerball refills .... the Office Depot house brand... "Foray". I'm real happy with them and I just stick them in every new rb that I make.

toolcrazy

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />I'm at the point where I just stop by my local Office Depot and buy several rollerball refills .... the Office Depot house brand... "Foray". I'm real happy with them and I just stick them in every new rb that I make.

Hmmm, I bought some cross type made by Foray and had nothing but problems with them. Took them back and got Cross originals. Rollerball must be better.

DocStram

Originally posted by toolcrazy
<br />
Originally posted by DocStram
<br />I'm at the point where I just stop by my local Office Depot and buy several rollerball refills .... the Office Depot house brand... "Foray". I'm real happy with them and I just stick them in every new rb that I make.

Hmmm, I bought some cross type made by Foray and had nothing but problems with them. Took them back and got Cross originals. Rollerball must be better.
Thanks for the heads up on the Foray cross types. I was about to try them. I'm a big fan of the Foray RB refills. Give 'em a try and let me know what you think of them.

epossum

I've had some problems with most every refill I've used. Not all of them, mind you, just one every now and then. I was highly embarrassed not too long ago when I gave a pen & pencil set to my mortgage loan officer and the pen quit before he even got half his signature written. And, Yes, I tested it before I left home, and No it didn't have the little tip protector on it. It was a Parker-style refill. Thank goodness I had one of my personal pens with me that used the same refill. I swapped it out and the mortgage guy was happy. Here's what I did to head off the problem when making special pens for gifts or sale. I went to Penwa.com and ordered Fisher Space Pen refills. The prices were good and they had a good selection of Parker-style, Cross-style, and Mont Blanc-style refills. They come in colors and different weights (fine, medium, etc.) Other brands also available. Anyway, the Space pen refills are very good and I can recommend them. Just be careful when opening the package to get the refill out. If you apply too much pressure to the end of the refill it can and will (and did - that's how I know) break off. The ink doesn't squirt out but it will ooze out pretty rapidly. The worst thing was having to throw away a refill. Heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom