rockler's woodturner's finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

I'm trying the General's Woodturners Finish now. I bought a bottle last week while in Woodcraft while looking for an alternate and quick way to finish the pens I made for the troops. I wanted a finish that I could apply off the lathe in sort of an assembly line. This works, but I don't know the durability of it yet. It has a watery/milky consistency to it, but it does dry clear, unlike the old water-based finishes of yesteryear. The first coat tended to raise the grain when it dried, but a quick polish with the white "scotch brite" pad smoothed it out. No strong odors like CA, and easy to apply to several pens at one time. I put 4 coats on which left a decent gloss finish. I didn't buff to a high gloss, but buffed it down to a satin finish. It still had a "warm wood" feeling to it, not a plastic like feel.

I need to make myself another wood pen and use this finish to really test it's durability. I also need to make myself a better finishing/drying rack. I guess I know what I'm doing today!

witz1976

Behlens is a shellac based polish. It looks great initially, however it will wear off over time. I believe PSI sells a lacquer based friction polish which may work better. I never have tried it though.

I am curious though, is your friend allergic to the fumes or to the actual finish itself?

sbwertz

Actually, the General Finishes Woodturner's Finish is the one I read about. I didn't remember the exact name. Thanks for the info.

penmaker1967

i have used this finsh some. it works very well i put on 3 coats letting it dry between coats then buff with some of the finsh on the towel. it holds up very well

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have used that finish on flatwork wood but not on pens. Pens are unique in the finish world - in the abuse, handling, humidity, and minuscule dirt and grime that they come in contact with as compared to fine furniture.

The finish is a great finish, as most wood finishes are. BUT people, pen turners included, don't think about doing the same thing with "pens" finished by finishes as you mentioned - as they will for flat work (furniture). People will clean, polish and wax finely finished fine furniture often, but do not think of doing it any more often with a pen. We have to remember that we put our hands all over a pen many times a day but only touch fine furniture on occasion and then wonder why a fine furniture finish does not hold up on a pen.

IF the pen is cleaned and waxed at the higher proportional rate to its handling -in comparison to fine furniture, then on the pen it should work fine also.

t001xa22

Hank, your narrative is right on the money. I have never heard it put any better. When I sell or give a pen away, I try to convey information like that. However, like most folks, few would actually do that kind of care. Your words make for a great reminder.

sbwertz

Follow-up on General Finishes Woodturner's Finish. Went over to Rockler last weekend but they didn't have the finish yet. The website was sold out, so I bought some on special order and they will call me when it comes in. I guess it flew off the shelves! The warehouse was out within a couple of days.

AceHoleInOne

Follow-up on General Finishes Woodturner's Finish. Went over to Rockler last weekend but they didn't have the finish yet. The website was sold out, so I bought some on special order and they will call me when it comes in. I guess it flew off the shelves! The warehouse was out within a couple of days.

Did it arrive yet? Have you had a chance to try some?
:good:

-Ace-

sbwertz

-Ace-

Got it today. I finished an ice cream scoop handle with it. Put on about 12 thin coats, buffing between with the #7 dry micromesh pad. I used a paper towel and just put on 4 or 5 drops each time. It dried almost instantly in our 16% humidity. I put it on with the lathe spinning, and it resulted in a slightly matte finish. Which is fine for an ice cream scoop. Not sure I would like it on a pen. I really wanted the finish for larger items that I've been using Mylands on, such as bowls and tea lights.

It is purpleheart. (Note, the handle was ordered oversized for someone with arthritis.)

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

G1Pens

I just came back from a local woodworkers meeting. One of the guys had made a bunch of salt & pepper shakers and some bottlestoppers that he finished with the General Finishes Woodturners Finish. The stuff looked great. He had attended a demo recently and was told to use 5 coats with a 10 min drying time between coats.

The stuff he had looked great!! The finish was smooth and deep. He had used micromesh to get a great shine. He had some similar items finished in CA and the Woodturners Finish looked just as good if not better.

Don't know how it would hold up for durability on a pen, but it sure did look good.

AceHoleInOne

-Ace-

Got it today. I finished an ice cream scoop handle with it. Put on about 12 thin coats, buffing between with the #7 dry micromesh pad. I used a paper towel and just put on 4 or 5 drops each time. It dried almost instantly in our 16% humidity. I put it on with the lathe spinning, and it resulted in a slightly matte finish. Which is fine for an ice cream scoop. Not sure I would like it on a pen. I really wanted the finish for larger items that I've been using Mylands on, such as bowls and tea lights.

It is purpleheart. (Note, the handle was ordered oversized for someone with arthritis.)

Glad it finally arrived! Correct, its not a grain filler so depending on the wood you could use a lot of coats. Best on soft porous woods to use a couple heavy coats of Enduro Var first, then sand it down and apply the WTF.

From what I have heard, the finish is quite durable and should hold up extremely well against the oils and chemicals of the skin. Was said better than ca glue?

Time will tell.

-ACE-

Top Bottom