Robutacion Olive Root Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandy H.

Sandy H.

This is my first picture post here and it is made from one of the Olive Root blanks Robutacion graciously gave out during his game. Thanks!!!

This is a gift for a friend of mine I will be seeing this week, so I won't be able to get better pictures. I literally have tried different techniques for 3 days, but I'm very new at trying to photograph anything like this. I know they are far from perfect, but I think you can at least see some of the beauty of the blank.

The kit was an SPW Classic Convertible. I chose to use the roller ball, but the fountain option might be better.

Any comments are appreciated, both about the pen and the pictures. I have thick skin, so if you have any criticism, please put it out there, as I want to learn.

Sandy.

FYI, the pictures were taken with a Nikon D50, Focal Length 26mm, Aperture F25, exposure 1/3 and 1/4 second. I used a tripod, no flash and 2 external lights.

Attachments

• olive 4.jpg
    olive 4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 302
  • olive 5.jpg
    olive 5.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 354
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Hard to criticize something that nice. Some may like to see more grain in the bottom section, I like it as is.

Last edited:

jyreene

I like it. The photo looks good on my phone. I agree with Paul. I like the contrast the highly segmented cap has vs the more plain base. Really pops when capped. Great pen and seem to be good pics.

robutacion

Great pen Sandy, thank you for specifying the blank's origin...!

I also find your decision to used 2 different blanks halves to be quite smart as the contrast is excellent. While the Olive root grain is unmistakable (to those that know Olive wood) to normal olive wood, the areas that have less colouration/grain are in fact very different than the normal Olive wood sapwood, looking closely, the grain is quite "burly" and interlinked, it may lack of dark colourations but it supersede in unusual texture...!

Is rewarding to start seeing some pens made with that Olive root, this is, as far as I know the second pen out of 80 blanks given, I would be happy to see at least 1 pen from all the game winners, they were 10 people so, 8 to go...!

Thank you,

PS: If anyone is making a pen from one of these blanks that has deep/wide stress cracks at the final barrel size, one of the great contrasting materials that go very well with this wood is, the Turquoise colour...!:wink:

Cheers
George

marksman

I love the figure in that wood. Where did you get it? You might have said so in your initial post, just didn't read it yet. Nice job!

Sandy H.

Howdy, guys. Just got back from my trip to Italy (tired) where I gave the pen to its new owner. Over there, 'regular' people do seem interested in quality pens, but most I saw on the trip were made from man-made materials. They do have an interesting sense of style.

I think my friend really, sincerely, liked the pen, but you never know if he was just being gracious or not. Overall I'm happy with it and I think he will be too. Hopefully it is a conversation starter for him, as he is involved in sales.

Marksman: The blank came from Robutacion who commented above. I assume has more and I think all of the pieces I got from him will make nice interesting pens.

Thanks for the comments!

Sandy.

robutacion

Hi Sandy,

Interesting observations you made on Italian people and while Italy is the World biggest supplier of Olive wood, they don't see the roots as something useful for wood work, they are normally removed and burn or split as firewood as the cleaning/preparation times require to make them ready for milling plus the blades damage costs of milling such product is certainly not viable...!

However, when "one" is prepared to invest the time, effort, costs of salvaging some of these old roots (not all are good...!:mad:) the rewards can certainly be of importance, if nothing else, for the unique grain the Olive root can produce after over 100 years under ground, being transformed by nature...!

I reckon, the idea of gifting a normal olive wood pen blank to an Italian can be received in 2 ways, either something that they could have made by the truck full any time they wanted to (plenty about and plenty of people working with it) or, being received as something that they always wanted but never took the steps to have it made.

However, gifting a Olive Root pen to an Italian, it would make them realise what they are missing...!:wink::biggrin:

I'm not Italian so, there is also a very good possibility that I'm wrong, that wouldn't be the first time nor would be the last...!:redface:

Looking forwards to see what you do with the other blanks...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom