Road rage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

My mother had to go to the emergency room today with extremely high blood pressure (she has now been released and is doing better) I was driving to the hospital and driving a little distracted. I cut in front of someone, not all that close, and got the full treatment- blaring horn and middle finger. Way too much reaction for my offense. I had to exercise considerable self control not to over react myself. I am glad that no one was checking my blood pressure at that particular time. I have not been that angry in a long long time. Obviously, I was not in the mood for such stupid BS. I guess that person had no idea that I was having a bad day. Perhaps he was having an even worse day. On the other hand perhaps he is just a jacka$$.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

It's sad because some people drive crazy every day because they think ther're special. You see people speeding and darting in and out of traffic and causing accidents then the whole road is shut down. Then when there is an emergency everyone else thinks it's just another person in a hurry so they loose their temper so now we have your situation. I hope all is well with you and your mom. Don't take this the wrong way I'm on your side you needed to be somewhere quick but I also understand the other guy. He was a jerk and I just hope he was one because he didn't understand not that he's one all the time.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Then, there's that guy in his new Black Audi with the sunroof open on I-75 3 lane interstate. I'm in the fast lane with two cars in front of me. We're passing a semi in the middle lane, ever so slowly. The guy in the Audi is ON MY BUMPER motioning to me to get out of the way. Where am I going to go? And as soon as we both clear the semi, the cars in front of me merged to the middle lane. Mr. Audi comes around me FLYING, and just to let me know he's boss, cuts in front of me. I missed my opportunity, intentionally. Let him go!

SteveJ

When my kids and I see someone who is driving crazy we often say "his wife must be pregnant and he is no the way to the hospital (or to pick her up)" Sometimes is works, other times I waste some words on them.

Hope your mom is able to get her blood pressure under control.

Ed McDonnell

Every day it's a new and exciting experience on the roads. When somebody does something i think is stupid or dangerous or reckless or careless or whatever I try to remind myself of a few things:

1) They could be drunk out of their minds and I'm glad they didn't ram me or anyone else. Nothing I would do or say would mean anything to them. I stay calm.

2) They could be higher than a kite and I'm glad they didn't ram me or anyone else. Nothing I would do or say would mean anything to them. I stay calm.

3) They could be trying to get away from the police and I should be checking the rearview for fast approach law enforcement (with guns blazing if I am in Miami). Nothing I would do or say would mean anything to them. I stay calm and focus on avoiding any bullets approaching from the rear and not doing anything to attract any bullets from the front.

4) They could be clueless and completely oblivious to anything outside their vehicles and whatever they did wasn't done on purpose. Anything I did or said to them would be completely misunderstood by them and not connected to whatever they did to me. I stay calm and let it go.

5) They could be in a legitimate hurry to get somewhere and aren't operating the vehicle as carefully as they otherwise would. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and stay calm.

The only time I really lose it is after sitting at a red light the person in front of me doesn't move when the light turns green. And they keep sitting there because they are playing with their phone/pad/whatever and don't realize the light has changed. I really lose it in these cases and I need to try and stay calm.

Ed

triw51

The one thing that helps me is to remember when I have done "stupid things" (believe me I have done my share of stupid things and I thank God I am still alive.) and then pray for the person. Keeps me focused on the important things iin life.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Patience

At some point in my life (I'm not sure when) I made the decision that I wasn't going to let what others do on the highway bother me. If they hit me I assume it wasn't intentional - stupid perhaps but not intentional. If its a near miss I just forget it, whether it was intentional or stupid. I can't fix stupid and getting angry myself just means there is another driver out there who is distracted and not paying as much attention to driving as they should. Getting angry when driving is never worth it.

Tom D

Then, there's that guy in his new Black Audi with the sunroof open on I-75 3 lane interstate. I'm in the fast lane with two cars in front of me. We're passing a semi in the middle lane, ever so slowly. The guy in the Audi is ON MY BUMPER motioning to me to get out of the way. Where am I going to go? And as soon as we both clear the semi, the cars in front of me merged to the middle lane. Mr. Audi comes around me FLYING, and just to let me know he's boss, cuts in front of me. I missed my opportunity, intentionally. Let him go!

I had a simular situation yesterday but with a better outcome. About 10 miles after the idiot cut me off a highway patrolman had him pulled over. I did wave!!

Cwalker935

Thanks for the well wishes for my mother. She is doing much better today. I had thought that I had gotten beyond letting what others do on the road get to me, but I let it get to me yesterday. I think that was probably in large part due to the stress associated with the moment. My perspective is much better today.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Many years ago I was in the left lane driving at the speed limit, I had one car a head of me I happen to notice two lights in the back window, it was an unmarked state trooper. A car comes flying up behind me flashing her light and honking her horn as soon as I had a chance I moved over. She did the same thing to the state trooper. The trooper moved over and she took off followed by the trooper with his lights on. :)

SDB777

All the more reason for a well armed society....just saying, if everyone 'might' be armed, the world would be a much more courteous to one another.

I was passed on the shoulder yesterday morning on the way to work. But the world gave back to him. I know it was a 'him' because the same vehicle was on the shoulder with a flat four miles down the road!
So I did what any 'nice person' would do.....I slowed, honked the horn and gave him a wave. Justice was served!!!!!

Scott (sometimes fate is best served with a 'HAHA") B

raar25

Actually all of the above is exactly why we dont need guns. Many of these pissed off people who are late or in a hurry but are probably not sure what they are in a hurry for are typically not in control of their emotions. But you guys made me feel better, because I was always wondering if any of those a___h___s ever get caught.

Nice to know justice is served sometimes.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well some folks seem to be in a "hurry" anytime they get behind the wheel of their car. I have seen in my own development (which has a 25mph speed limit, which is actually about 5mph or so to fast) cars doing at least 40 going to another house in the same development, and we have only 5 streets in the development and 3 of them end in cul-de-sacs. I have had cars put themselves and others in danger to pass me in a no passing zone only to arrive at their destination a mile down the road about 3 seconds before I get there.

Many years ago I was in the left lane driving at the speed limit, I had one car a head of me I happen to notice two lights in the back window, it was an unmarked state trooper. A car comes flying up behind me flashing her light and honking her horn as soon as I had a chance I moved over. She did the same thing to the state trooper. The trooper moved over and she took off followed by the trooper with his lights on. :)

That made me laugh. I was her on a trip to Va. in my teens. I got lucky though. Instead of moving over the officer flashed his lights really quick, as if to say "Back off, buddy". I moved over and thanked my lucky stars, as we were doing 15-20 above the limit.

Well some folks seem to be in a "hurry" anytime they get behind the wheel of their car. I have seen in my own development (which has a 25mph speed limit, which is actually about 5mph or so to fast) cars doing at least 40 going to another house in the same development, and we have only 5 streets in the development and 3 of them end in cul-de-sacs. I have had cars put themselves and others in danger to pass me in a no passing zone only to arrive at their destination a mile down the road about 3 seconds before I get there.

When I was working in SFO at the airport, we had a guy that lived in San Jose... on the mornings I had a day shift, I often saw him pass me as I entered highway... in those days highway 101 from SJC to SFO was 4 lanes... I've seen him cross from the far right to the far left and back again only to go back across the lanes again... I never left the right lane and often times would be the car right behind him or on a couple of occasions the one in front... didn't like to be in front though, preferred to be where I could see him coming.... he was such a bad driver that TWA pulled his company driver's license and would not allow him to drive anything except the electric tug in the warehouse... it was a one man stand up tug, mostly a battery on wheels with an electric motor and handlebars.... he was allowed to pull carts in and out of the warehouse only.... or to manually handle cargo into the carts.

ladycop322

It is getting worse and not going to get any better. My son gets his full license on August 1 and I'm scared to death. Every time the phone rings I will be a basketcase. It's not that I don't trust my son. I don't trust the 90 year old drivers nor the lead footers/road ragers etc.

That made me laugh. I was her on a trip to Va. in my teens. I got lucky though. Instead of moving over the officer flashed his lights really quick, as if to say "Back off, buddy". I moved over and thanked my lucky stars, as we were doing 15-20 above the limit.

It's kinda funny what teenage drivers learn and how they learn... I was just out of highschool between school and the navy and still working for the guy I worked for during school... he was legally blind with cataracts and about 1/2 inch glasses, so I was his driver.... he ran a small chain of movie houses in my county and we a couple of trips a week to Dallas to pick up films and concession supplies. Sitting in the car for him was just dead time and he was always motioning for me to get on down the road... we generally cruised the 100 mile trip from my hometown to Dallas and back at about 90+ mph.... on one return trip we were "cruisin' along" when a white chevy passed, then a white t-bird passed me and the chevy... about 30 seconds later something whistled past fast enough that it made my boss jerk his arm in from the window sill and exclaim, "What the hell was that" (pardon the language)... it was a 1960 Plymouth Fury with Texas highway markings and bubblegum racks on the roof.... looking down the road I could see he had both the chevy and the t-bird parked and was standing in the road looking back for the green Chevy station wagon that was following.... luckily just as we got to him, a truck passed him and I passed the truck... but after that I watched my speeds and mirrors a lot closer.

Top Bottom