Riser Blocks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Yes, I use rise blocks on my small Jet lathe to bring it up to elbow height.

Makes it a lot easier to clean the sawdust from beneath it too.

My lathe sits on two short blocks at each end, but the blocks are glued together and glued to the workbench.

My lathe is screwed onto the top block so everything is rock solid.

dbriski

I think he is going for putting block between the bed and the head and tailstock, not under the lathe raising it.

Someone on here has done it for a old delta, he had to have the blocks custom made.

VisExp

Originally posted by dbriski
<br />I think he is going for putting block between the bed and the head and tailstock, not under the lathe raising it.

Yes that is what I was looking to do.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like there may not be an after market product to enable me to do this. I spent some time trying to Google it and did not come up with anything. I was hoping someone here might know.

Thanks again.

Hey Mark,
I made riser blocks for my Mini Jet to get it to elbow height too.. I used a 2x4 framework and set it on wheels so I can move it when I need to clean under it.. it didn't help the swing much though.

Firefyter-emt

Anything is possiable with the right tools!

Here is a before photo of my 1930's Delta when it had an 11" swing.
1230062.jpg

And here it is with the new 14" swing.
Delta-lift-42.jpg

The link to the refurb is here: www.yankeetoys.org/lee/lathe-lift.htm

Ligget

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Hey Mark,
I made riser blocks for my Mini Jet to get it to elbow height too.. I used a 2x4 framework and set it on wheels so I can move it when I need to clean under it.. it didn't help the swing much though.

I know now that it`ll not help the swing! lol [:I][:D]

Randy_

Even assuming you could find reasonably priced riser blocks "AND" the parts necessary to make the tailstock locking mechanism function properly, you would still have a problem of the motor.

Presumably, the desire for greater swing is to have the capability to turn bigger heavier stock. A number of folks have already reported that the JET mini motor is only marginally strong enough to spin projects of the size of the Jet's maximum capability. Trying to turn even bigger stuff would be a real risk and installing a larger motor on the mini would be added cost and mechanical difficulty.

Jeff Powell, who posts here on occasion, has reported on another forum that he rotated the headstock on his JET mini (I think it was the VS) 180° so he could turn stuff outboard. He claimed he had no problems; but there is a serious safety issue involved in that configuration that I personally would prefer to avoid. The safety issue could be resolved by rewiring the motor control so the motor would run backward; but that is a whole nother ball of wax.

Bottom line.....your smartest move.....if you want more swing is to take dance lessons. Oops...just kidding[:D][:D] Save up your pennies and buy a bigger lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom