Ringed Myall Cambridge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from simomatra

simomatra

Ringed Myall, Acacia pendula, in a Gold Ti with silver accents Cambridge from Addictive. Finish is 3 coats of Ubeaut shellawax glow and 20 coats of WOP. polished up to 12000MM brasso, corn starch and the Meguires PlastX.

This has gone to Jeff in Indiana as part of the recent pen swap on TPS

TPS09PS4.jpg

TPS09PS1.jpg

TPS09PS5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Ringed Myall, Acacia pendula, in a Gold Ti with silver accents Cambridge from Addictive. Finish is 3 coats of Ubeaut shellawax glow and 20 coats of WOP. polished up to 12000MM brasso, corn starch and the Meguires PlastX.

OK, I have to ask about this finish thing. What is this shellawax and when and how do you apply it??? Also 20 coats of poly?????????????? Do you really see the differance after say 10 coats????? How thick is this top coat and how in the world do you account for the thickness when sizeing the blank???? Curious minds want to know. Seems extreme at least to me.

ldb2000

Sam , that is a beautiful piece of timber and you did a wonderful job with it . I love your finish .
John , the shellawax glow is a friction polish that is used on curly woods to help pop the grain and act as a seal coat for the poly . The wipe on poly goes on in very thin coats and builds to a fantastic finish , 20 coats of WOP equals the average CA finish in thickness .

simomatra

Thanks for the kind words I will try and answer the Questions

The finish: I apply glow as I have found it seals the surface and really pops out the grain and a great gloss. I burnish this well in, three times or more and then a very light touch of 0000 steel wool. After this the WOP it is thin and up here in the heat only takes 1 hour before next coat. I try to get about 5 - 6 coats a day. If there is anything on the surface between coats I leave it longer and then use the 000o steel wool with the grain ever so lightly. If no o problems just keep adding the poly. After last coat wait 24 hours and then polish with wet 12000mm then brasso, corn flower slurry and finally the Meguires PlasticX.

Once again I have to thank Les Elm for showing me this method and I have just played with it too suit myself.

Quite often I place the blank back on a mandrill, after turning between centres, I then put the coat of poly on and leave in the direct sunlight. The heat in the mandrill transfers into the core of the blank and assisting with the hardening of the poly. Works for me so it may work for someone else

medemt

Sam,
World Class brother, World Class!! If anyone ever says that penmaking is not an art form, they need only see that pen.

Also, Jeff, you have got to bring the pen to the next chapter meeting if you can. I'll bring the towels to clean up the drool from everyone present.

Dan

as soon as I get the hologram technology perfected, everyone can see it up-close!
It is quite beautiful in-person .. I will bring it on a chain to the next meeting, haha.

Thank you so much Sam

I am wanting to try the cornflour slurry sometime ..

Top Bottom