Rikon vs. Jet JWL 1220 (long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeP

After using both lathes for almost 2 months each, I just wanted to state my experience. This is not necessarily indicative of every lathe from these manufacturers.
I originally bought the Rikon. After turning a pen on it I noticed it was out of round. The hand wheel was also excessively vibrating while turning. I contacted tech support, and was told that the hand wheel was cross threaded and that a new one would be sent out. As far as the out of round, I was told that Rikon's live center was not the right taper so I needed to get a new pen mandrel. I bought a new live center instead. The new hand wheel eliminated some of the vibration, but I still was turning pens out of round. I turned several items between centers for about a month and was relatively pleased, thinking I just needed to buy a new pen mandrel. Then the bearings started grinding. I had heard that when they go out they whine, but this was grinding. Metal dust was inside the belt cover and on the spindle. The other problem was that the spindle was very slightly turning at an angle to the lathe bed. Tech support was called and they said the bearing will go out over time. He didn't believe me when I told him it was only 2 months old. There are only two guys over there that support the mini, so I was told the other guy would call me back. Two days later I called again and was told they would get in touch with me right away. Three days after that I took it back to WC. It's been over 2 months and I am still waiting for that call back.
I picked up the Jet, and so far so good. It's been about 2 months and several pens with no problems. The belt on the Jet is too "stretchy", but it's a minor problem. I really did like the ease of changing the belt on the Rikon, but I prefer my pens to be round so I will put up with the inconvenience. And that's my $.02 :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

monkeynutz

I'm a little surprised by your poor experience with the Rikon, as I have seen so many good reviews about their mini. My local WC owner/operator sells both, and raves about the Rikon. I have had good luck with their other tools (have several) and found them very helpful and accommodating about info and support (the Rikon folks, that is...). Did your tech support (or apparently, your lack of it) come from them, or were you going through WC? Just curious... And for the record, I own a Jet mini, as Rikon did not have an electronic VS model. I like the Jet a whole lot.

PaulDoug

I don't own either but this is the first bad review I have read on the Rikon. I would pick the jet just because I think i like VS although I am real close ordering a Nova 1624 which is not VS.

Brewmeister35

Wow, I've heard great things about the support at Rikon too. I got mine a year ago and it works great under pretty regular use. I play on my brother's jet mini and enjoy both. Bummer you got a bad one with bad support to boot.

nava1uni

I have a Rikon and have been using it steadily since I bought it last October. I have had no problem and when I needed some information. I called the toll free number and was given great support. My lathe parts are well aligned with no apparent problems with out of round. Only thing that I do is I vacuum it whenever I am finished turning and regularly do maintenance. I also own a Rikon 14" bandsaw that is very nice and also a drill press. I do monthly maintenance and keep them clean. I bought them after reading many magazines giving them great reviews. Sorry that you got a lemon.

:(:(

JoeP

from Monkeynutz
Did your tech support (or apparently, your lack of it) come from them, or were you going through WC?
Tech support was through Rikon. I bought the Rikon knowing there were numerous poor reviews, but they were from 2+ years ago and the newer reviews did not have any issues. I would have kept it if they would have been more proactive in trouble shooting and returning my calls. When I went to WC to talk about returning the lathe, the employee I spoke with told me they had several Rikon lathes returned defective. If yours works, great. If you buy one, use it a lot in the first 90 days so if you have a problem and you don't get help from tech support you can take it back to WC.

Top Bottom