Right or left handed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I am a left handed turner and am wondering if there are techniques that a left handed turner would struggle with? I have tried to do some turning right handed, but it is very awkward for me. Can some of you comfortably turn either left or right handed? I think I must be a little unusual in that I write right handed, shoot pool left handed, and shoot guns left handed. My dominate hand for fly fishing is my right hand.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Hollowing is interesting. I stand at the end of my lathe for much if it.

Pens are a breeze.

The only tool I frequently switch hands with is the skew, if I'm trying to come from both directions.

its_virgil

I also turn either way. Never was able bat or throw left handed when I was in school. Don't do other things with both but I do turn both ways. I even turn in my sleep.:biggrin:
Practice. Practrice.Practice
Do a good turn daily!
Don

sschering

Lefty here for most things..

I turn with both hands.. whatever way the wood turns better.

It was hard at first but I did a lot of practice pieces turning with my right hand to get the feel for it.

76winger

Although I eat and write left handed, I do most everything else both ways. Turning, whichever way works the best for what I'm doing at the moment...

bobleibo

Curious question.......
What do you call "left handed"? Is that when you have your left hand on the chisel or the handle?
I am left handed and have learned how to turn either way, except when it gets down to the real delicate stuff, I turn with my right hand on the chisel and my left hand on the handle.

Dan Masshardt

Curious question....... What do you call "left handed"? Is that when you have your left hand on the chisel or the handle? I am left handed and have learned how to turn either way, except when it gets down to the real delicate stuff, I turn with my right hand on the chisel and my left hand on the handle.

Left hand on the handle for me as the default position.

gimpy

Do most things right handed,
shoot weapons left handed
as my left eye is the
dominant eye.

When I was young I was left handed, till
I put my arm through a washing machine ringers

Still able to switch hands for a lot of stuff

Jim Burr

Banned
Being 100% ambidextrous, it doesn't matter. Where the trouble starts is when we sit down to dinner...I stare at my utensils until my wife tells me what hand to start with.

hdtran

I'm primarily right-handed. But when I'm turning spindle work, I switch hands, depending on which way I'm going, depending on the tool. For things close to the headstock, I'll hold the tool handle with my left hand, and guide on the toolrest with my right. When I'm close to the tailstock, I'll switch, and use my right hand holding the tool, and left on the toolrest.

When I'm using the skew (or, more properly speaking, when I'm misusing the skew, and cursing :), rolling beads towards the tailstock, I'll have the handle in my left hand, and guide on toolrest with right hand. Vice-versa if rolling beads towards the headstock.

This is partially because my garage space is restricted (my spouse thinks that cars belong in the garage???)

tbroye

I am right handed. I turn with my left on chisel and right hand on the handle. I have tried the other way and I am not comfortable or feel in control. If I did it more I probable could do it after a lot of practice.

jaygeedubya

still a rookie, read somewhere us lefties should try to work with both hands, but am finding that very difficult. For bowls, when I hollow, I am either at the end or the other side.

jamie

tomas

I turn both ways. I have found with the skew that I am smoother left-handed even though I a right-handed.

Tomas

Chasper

Clarification needed; if my right hand is on the handle, then I'm turning right handed? Left hand on handle, then turning left handed? Is that how left and right turning is determined?

If that is the definition of left and right then I mostly, but not exclusively, turn right handed. I also stand with my shoulders aligned nearly perpendicular to the pen, left shoulder toward the lathe. . .feels right to me.

I don't which is considered left handed or right handed... I mostly guide the cutting end of the tool with my left hand and my right on the end of the handle, but if I need to switch ends with the tool, I do, never thought anything about doing it that way.

Technically I'm right handed... I write, throw with my right hand, but I bat and use long handle tools left handed.

mpex

I'm a lefty and I turn left handed. No issues for pens. Hollowing, which I have not done much of poses a bit of a problem. However, I have a Delta lathe which goes forward and backward (backward is amazing for sanding.) I will pull stand on the other side of the lathe and put the lathe in back mode.

John Den

I'm another one too!!

I think I must be a little unusual in that I write right handed, shoot pool left handed, and shoot guns left handed. My dominate hand for fly fishing is my right hand
Not really unusual - you're like me!!
I think you are a frustrated ambidexter. Depending which hand you start using for any task/sport, this hand will seem natural.
I have found that you can also train the other hand to work just as well after a little while. The brain accommodates remarkably well I've found. Don't waste this gift.
I have found this very invaluable for playing Bowls, Snooker, and Fly Fishing; as well as Turning.
Regards,
Another one,
John

Turned Around

Oddly enough, I'm right handed, but this is the only thing I'll easily use my left hand for. For some reason, I can't do everything right handed on the lathe, I NEED to switch hands, and frequently.

I think I must be a little unusual in that I write right handed, shoot pool left handed, and shoot guns left handed. My dominate hand for fly fishing is my right hand
Not really unusual - you're like me!!
I think you are a frustrated ambidexter. Depending which hand you start using for any task/sport, this hand will seem natural.
I have found that you can also train the other hand to work just as well after a little while. The brain accommodates remarkably well I've found. Don't waste this gift.
I have found this very invaluable for playing Bowls, Snooker, and Fly Fishing; as well as Turning.
Regards,
Another one,
John

This is probably a good explanation of why I throw a Frisbee with my left hand... when my son was little I used the left hand thinking I wouldn't throw as hard... no I can throw a Frisbee with pretty good accuracy, but can throw one 10 feet with out a wobble with my right hand.

When I first started playing baseball, I was taught to bat right handed, but used a cross hand grip... one P.E. class we had to play on the school ground instead of across the street at the ball park... so everyone was instructed to bat left handed... turned out more natural to me.

I turn left handed...mostly but can turn right handed in a pinch. I am predominantly right ( writing, batting,throwing )but anything with a stick (turning, shoveling, sweeping, hockey) I do left handed best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom