Rhodium Harvest draped in Curly Mango

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Justturnin

Justturnin

Got some Roman Harvest in last week and finally got to turn one. Thinking I may order some more if I can work through the issues I had.
Issue 1 - 33/64" hole in a 3/4" blank is muy tricky.
Issue 2 - I picked up a 33/64" Pen mill from WC but it would not fit in the tubes. Ended up having to use the 31/64" mill to clean up the 33/64" hole.
Issue 3 - My Biggest Complaint with the Kit, I literally pressed this pen by hand and can easily pull it apart (no I don't have super human strength). I know some folks say use loctite but this just seems really lose. Going to get some loctite tomorrow to try out and see if that will firm up the connections.

I got this wood from a fellow Creeker in a wood trade after a recent Pen Swap. It is an amazing piece of Curly Mango. I may have enough for 2-3 more Pen so it is going in the cabinet to be used on special pens as I REALLLY like the way it looks.

25 Coats CA, Wet sand w/ 600 to size then finished to 12000MM, then Huts Ultra High Gloss Polish.

C&C Please.

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Thanks, I do like the Mango now (1st time to turn it) and have actaully been looking for some more but they are proud and I am broke.

bitshird

Very pretty piece of Mango, nice figure, too bad the tubes are a bit loose, I wonder why I've not heard of that problem before? they are nice looking kits, almost as nice as Jr. Emperors.

Justturnin

too bad the tubes are a bit loose, I wonder why I've not heard of that problem before? they are nice looking kits, almost as nice as Jr. Emperors.

I have some more I have yet to turn. Maybe the fit is a one off. Maybe I did something wrong when milling them. Never know. Yes the are very nice and for a pen like this for $20 what a deal. I am sure once I work through these issues I will pick up some more while he has them.

broitblat

The tubes for the Roman Harvest are thicker walled than for the Cambridge, etc. Did you, by chance, use standard El Grande bushings? If you did manage to get those in (by filing, etc.) it would have loosened the fit. Maybe you're smarter than I am, but that's what happened for me the first time I did a Roman Harvest. I didn't know my El Grande bushing weren't supposed to fit, so I kept working on it until they did -- and then the components were too loose.

Great looking pen, by the way.

-Barry

Justturnin

The tubes for the Roman Harvest are thicker walled than for the Cambridge, etc. Did you, by chance, use standard El Grande bushings? If you did manage to get those in (by filing, etc.) it would have loosened the fit. Maybe you're smarter than I am, but that's what happened for me the first time I did a Roman Harvest. I didn't know my El Grande bushing weren't supposed to fit, so I kept working on it until they did -- and then the components were too loose.

Great looking pen, by the way.

-Barry

I acually bought the bushings from them and the slid right in no force needed.

Top Bottom