Reverse painting and epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

After sort of messing up a set of tubes when I just painted the tube I decided I should reverse paint the blank.

Put on a cost waited an hour and then did another. I used premium multi surface acrylic paint hobby and let it dry over night.

Next morning I epoxied in my tubes and the epoxy dissolved the paint. It was like I mixed the wet paint into the glue.

Waited 2 hours and the epoxy was still gummy. After a few more hours it did firm up but it was very odd.

Last edited:

dtswebb

Cliff,
I agree with Chris. I use Testor's and Model Master's spray enamels on the inside of drilled blanks. A two second spray through both ends is all it takes and it doesn't build up a thick coat (used to have that problem when I hand painted the inside of blanks). I'll usually spray the blanks one weekend and won't touch them until the next weekend. I use a 30 minute two-part epoxy and do not have any issues with dissolving paint.

Matthew

BSea

I place my tubes in front of a small fan to circulate the air. You can also put them in a toaster oven on the low setting to help cure the paint. I've used several different paints from acrylic to testors enamel. They all work if fully cured.

Top Bottom