Reusing old tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHeretic

Just a quick question. Do you reuse the tubes if you have a problem and have to basicly shave the wood off of them so that you can reuse them? Or do you just buy more blanks?

I started out to do 5 Barons today and had 3 of them blow all apart. I took the wood off and may try to reuse them. Just curious as to how the rest of you do something like this.

Dean
Columbus OH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

I always but at least 10 extra sets of tubes. I throw them away instead of trying to reuse them. At .35 to .50 cents per set it's not worth the extra time trying to save them.

jwoodwright

Additionally, some kits are very sensitive to tube length. Each time you barrel trim or sand, some brass is lost... Reusing tubes on these lead to many "fun" things, like refill sticks out when retracted... [:I]

Johnathan

You should buy extra tubes when ordering kits first starting out. I have quite the collection of tubes now so I don't bother with ordering tubes. They are good to have on hand when something happens. You can clean off old tubes and reuse them.

epson

I always order extra tubes when I order pen kits. I even ordered some of the long tubes from pennstate in 7mm and 10mm. I usually do not reuse the old tubes unless I have to.

DocStram

I agree with what everybody said. When I screw up a blank I have a flash goes off in my brain saying, "Save the tube". But then common sense (and patience) prevails and I say "Trash it".

TheHeretic

hmmm some say use others not use. I know I will usually reuse them. But, was more curious as to what others did.

I think for some I will buy new tubes but.... for now reuse them.

Dean
Columbus OH

Dario

Here is my take. I've made quite a few different kits and don't care to stock extra tubes when possible. That is why I re-use them. If I have extra tubes on hand I will probably use them before reclaiming the tubes. If I have other tubes from similar kits available, I may borrow from it and order later if needed.

That said I only had a few instances where I have to buy extra tubes...AFTER my taining with the 7mm kits that is [:D][}:)]. With those I bought a few packs of 10" or 12" long tubes. I really like drilling and gluing 20-50 pairs at a time then [:D].

kylebowers

I have reused tubes without a problem many times.

Originally posted by TheHeretic
<br />Just a quick question. Do you reuse the tubes if you have a problem and have to basicly shave the wood off of them so that you can reuse them? Or do you just buy more blanks?

I started out to do 5 Barons today and had 3 of them blow all apart. I took the wood off and may try to reuse them. Just curious as to how the rest of you do something like this.

Dean
Columbus OH

Randy_

I always order spare tubes for any new kit in my inventory. They are just too cheap to not have one around if needed. That being said, some tubes I reuse and some I don't. If I have a total explosion and all it takes is a little clean-up, the tube will be reused. If the blow-up is not complete, the piece goes in a box for future use.....spacers, sleeves for pen mills, knick knacks of various sorts.....they also make nice little pieces for use to experiment with finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom